Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searching for name of old flying movie.

Searching for name of old flying movie.

Many years ago (the 60's) I watched a movie that depicted the trials and struggles of breaking the sound barrier, it was a movie and not a documentary.
    There were rocket powered speed sleds that I recall, it was in color and the location was mostly on a Military base.
    Seems it was called "90,000 Feet Into the Blue" or similar but searching that and variations of that turns up nothing.
    Would love to locate it to watch again.

Any of you remember this movie and/or shed any light on the actual name?

Thanks
    Ken

Name:  7208130.3.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  96.2 KB
    Destination 60,000?
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 12-26-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Not what I remembered but just about has to be the one and will be looking into finding it.
    OK so I missed it by 30,000 feet, big deal

Thanks

I've not seen that one, but there was another back then called Fate Is The Hunter (the only relation to Ernie Gann's book is the title), which also was supposedly about breaking the sound barrier (in a DH Swallow?).
    Last edited by lnuss; 12-27-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Larry N.

Wow Ron, I am impressed.

"Above and Beyond", starring William Holden and Lloyd Nolen. I believe the USAF gave them full access to Edwards AFB. The plot was a thinly disguised version of the exploits of (a famous test pilot who broke the sound barrier, can't mention his name on EAA forums)
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Bravo View Post
    "Above and Beyond", starring William Holden and Lloyd Nolen. I believe the USAF gave them full access to Edwards AFB. The plot was a thinly disguised version of the exploits of (a famous test pilot who broke the sound barrier, can't mention his name on EAA forums)
    I was thinking of that one, too, Mr. B. To the rest of you folks, find it...it's a good "snapshot" of Edwards in the early '50s, and you see a lot of very rare early jets.

Another one that I thought matched the OP's description (to some extent) was "Breaking the Sound Barrier." This is an early '50s British film directed by David Lean, that's a fictionalization of Geoffrey De Havilland Jr's death during flight testing in 1946.

Ron Wanttaja

Found lots of information on "Destination 60000" but no video trailer to compare.
    The one I mentioned was in color where it is BW as is "Above and Beyond".

Both seem to have lot of wonderful flying pictures though, they look like they would be enjoyable to watch.

Ken

Jonathan Harger
    Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    I've not seen that one, but there was another back then called Fate Is The Hunter (the only relation to Ernie Gann's book is the title), which also was supposedly about breaking the sound barrier (in a DH Swallow?).
    There was also "The Sound Barrier," from 1952, which is a ridiculous film in which the hero reverses the flight controls while the plane is transonic, which somehow helps him survive breaking the sound barrier. Those Brits.

It couldn't be any cheesier than Jet Pilot, with the lovely Janet Leigh, who plays a Soviet fighter jock visiting the US, flying our jets, and playing with the Duke's heart. Hollywood's idea of the Cold War???