Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Accident recording

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    On a broader scale I'd settle for Peace On Earth. but not much chance of that either.
    Hard enough to find it in the EAA forum pages. :-)

Good Yule, y'all...

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Am I the only one in North America who was taught to enter on the non-active side of the runway at circuit height at a 90 degree angle to the downwind with the appropriate call out, "Maple traffic, XXX, Cessna 182 overhead the field, joining mid downwind left (or right) for 32 Maple."
    no. not the only one. thousands do it that way. because that's the appropriate circuit entry FOR CANADA.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...letter-754.htm

Name:  canadian circuit entry.JPG
Views: 848
Size:  26.6 KBName:  ott3.JPG
Views: 1789
Size:  49.6 KB

i believe entering the traffic pattern in the USA almost head-on to traffic which is following the FAA-published procedure is legal, but stucking fupid. but hey. don't let that bother anybody. i believe in santa claus, too. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Last edited by Mike M; 12-25-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    no. not the only one. thousands do it that way. because that's the appropriate circuit entry FOR CANADA.

Name:  ott3.JPG

i believe entering the traffic pattern in the USA almost head-on to traffic which is following the FAA-published procedure is legal, but <not smart>
    Yep, that is the conflict scenario we see in a busy pattern when a knucklehead comes wandering over midfield into a solid line of traffic joining the downwind from the preferred 45* entry. And it is usually an aircraft on the preferred entry that has to give way because the crossing pilot is oblivious (or doesn't care) to the mess he has created.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 12-25-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post

Name:  canadian circuit entry.JPG
Views: 848
Size:  26.6 KBName:  ott3.JPG

i believe entering the traffic pattern in the USA almost head-on to traffic which is following the FAA-published procedure is legal, but stucking fupid. but hey. don't let that bother anybody. i believe in santa claus, too. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Good to know I fly right(or left) on the north side of the border where it isn't Stucking Fupid. O CANADA!!! And a very Merry Christmas to you and all from Toronto.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 12-25-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Good to know I fly right(or left) on the north side of the border where it isn't Stucking Fupid. O CANADA!!! And a very Merry Christmas to you and all from Toronto.
    Floatsflyer, neither procedure is fupid. They're incompatible, that's all.

This accident was not a midair collision though it was perhaps brought on by the pilot and.or controller thinking that a conflict was developing between the accident Cirrus and the other one on the long straight in final.
    One problem that can develop at tower controlled airports is that they have planes flying different patterns rather that all joining on downwind.

I don't see just crossing over midfield as necessarily dangerous. At Boulder, Co. it is the standard entry procedure for gliders. Most of the time we land on rwy 8 so we circle to descend just south of the field and cross midfield at 800 to 1000 feet AGL and join left downwind, same as if we join right downwind for rwy 26. The gliders mostly land on the grass on the north side, not on the main runway and they fly a tight pattern especially on base. Many have no radio. I have never heard of a midair between two gliders or between a glider and a power plane WHILE LANDING, so it works ok. The power planes mostly, not all, come in on a 45 to downwind on the north side. The power tow planes ( Pawnee, Cub) fly the same pattern as the gliders and land the same spot.
    There was a collision between a Cirrus coming over the field from the north and hit a tow plane which had taken off with a glider and was climbing west just north of the field, unfortunately fatal to 2 in the Cirrus and 1 in the tow plane, with the glider unhooking and landing safely. The Cirrus chute did deploy, don't know whether it was pulled or just by impact, and it lowered the plane down but it was on fire by then.

If there is traffic, the safer way to overfly midfield if I am in a power plane and going to use the full pattern and land on the main runway is to stay AT LEAST 500 to 1000 feet higher than the pattern and move a couple of miles north of the field before descending and joining on 45 entry. Coming right over the field at pattern altitude seems more dangerous, but can and has been done IF you really keep a close lookout for traffic on a 45 or long downwind.
    I have flown in Canada a few dozen times, have a Canadian license and I entered the pattern both ways and no one ever told me that their standard way was midfield. In a faster plane, I often use an overhead approach in either country, and I do at my home airport.