There is a recording and explanation of a Cirrus accident that I recommend everyone listen to. It is on the AOPA website and I don't think you have to be a member or sign in to hear it, although I expect most of us are members there also.
Unlike so many accidents this was not a normal gen av airplane in bad weather or a warbird or experimental lost doing acro. It was just a plane flying a normal flight in good vmc daylight weather and still was fatal to 3 people.
The essence:
1 Much of the focus with the tower conversation was which runway the pilot was going to land on, which is of much less importance than a safe pattern and landing.
2 The pilot when cleared to land, tried to cut short the pattern to do a base entry rather than a full downwind; not a good idea at a busy ariport.
3. When a traffic conflict developed with another Cirrus on a long straight in final, the accident pilot rolled back toward downwind with much too steep a bank, up to 60%, at full gross weight and only 100k airspeed,and stalled and spun it. A Cirrus is NOT certified to recover from spins, it would not do so in flight testing and in any event at 300 feet nobody would likely have recovered. The parachute was used, but too late.