Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: websites

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Many thanks, CubBuilder - much appreciated. I got your message and look forward to taking the time to read through it.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

So Hal, Can you....being the point of the spear on this issue "Bottom Line it" as to why we have this problem. Or has the answer already been given in one of the many posts on the subject?

Tony {can-can useless poster}

Quote Originally Posted by flyrite View Post
    So Hal, Can you....being the point of the spear on this issue "Bottom Line it" as to why we have this problem. Or has the answer already been given in one of the many posts on the subject?

Tony {can-can useless poster}
    Maybe...?

Here's how it works:

You go to http://eaa.org/chapters/locator/ and search for Chapter in, say a particular state.
    You get a list of chapters by number, city, etc.
    You click on the chapter you're interested in.

This opens up their website, so your initial question was pretty confusing to me.

It opens their EAA-subsidized website, that is, which, even if they've done nothing to update it, will show at a minimum their current contact information* and their scheduled events. (The home page shows events scheduled in the next 30 days, while the "Events" page shows all of that chapter's events

If you see a website that doesn't include a lot of content, that means the chapter hasn't put it there. If the chapter has an independent website (as, by our estimates, a few hundred chapters do), then they're supposed to put a link on the one we gave them that takes you to their "real" website. Most chapters do this, but some have not.

The concept of chapter search results linking directly to the EAA-subsidized sites even if the chapter may have an independent site of their own is something I'm expecting us to revisit.

*-Important note about contact information: You will see gaps in January as we process renewals. This is a time and labor intensive process, so you will undoubtedly see some chapters' contact information is incomplete as we enter (or, in some cases, wait for) updated information from chapters about their new officers, etc. These gaps are short-lived, and I wouldn't have mentioned them except for the fact that we're having this discussion...in January.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    *-Important note about contact information: You will see gaps in January as we process renewals. This is a time and labor intensive process, so you will undoubtedly see some chapters' contact information is incomplete as we enter (or, in some cases, wait for) updated information from chapters about their new officers, etc. These gaps are short-lived, and I wouldn't have mentioned them except for the fact that we're having this discussion...in January.
    Wait!!! Hal (or another staffer), you mean you don't stand at the post office each day waiting for each application so you can pull out your tablet and update the data instantly???

I AM KIDDING! Thanks again for doing a great job keeping us informed Hal.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Maybe...?
    If the chapter has an independent website (as, by our estimates, a few hundred chapters do), then they're supposed to put a link on the one we gave them that takes you to their "real" website. Most chapters do this, but some have not.
    For those that might be interested, here is where Hal and I have a disconnect (and have been having a discussion off line). As one of those that put up and maintained one one of the "few hundred" independent web sites that contains only EAA chapter related material, I would like for the EAA to host our chapter web site on the WEBS server rather than having the chapter pay for a domain name and web hosting service. Unfortunately, we aren't allowed to simply push a copy of our web sites to the EAAs WEBS hosting site, so our chapter is stuck paying for external web services.

I think Hal and I both understand each others issues, but are apparently constrained by the EAAs contract with WEBS. Reading Hal's previous post (and highlighted quote by me), it appears that I would be among a "few hundred" chapter web masters that have this issue with the EAAs web hosting service.

I really do applaud the EAA and Hal for putting up a default web page with some basic information out there for each chapter. It was sorely needed. I just wish there was some follow up to make the site more useful for all chapters. While Hal and I have been discussing this off line, and I think Hal probably finds this somewhat frustrating as well, I don't see any commitment on the EAAs part to address the issue.

-CubBuilder
    Last edited by cub builder; 01-11-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Wait!!! Hal (or another staffer), you mean you don't stand at the post office each day waiting for each application so you can pull out your tablet and update the data instantly???

I AM KIDDING! Thanks again for doing a great job keeping us informed Hal.

Jim
    Jim - I've proposed to Trevor that he simply hire a team of, say, 5 full-time "Chapter Concierges" per chapter to address issues like this. I'm sure he's sitting down there in his office right now holding his breath, waiting for the budget approval to hire 5,000 new staffers...

(Note to all: The means I'm kidding. Completely and totally.)

Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    While Hal and I have been discussing this off line, and I think Hal probably finds this somewhat frustrating as well, I don't see any commitment on the EAAs part to address the issue.

-CubBuilder
    By way of response, I'll say here what I said in the interesting and engaging exchange we've been having offline:

You have that commitment from me, now.

We’ve learned an awful lot over the last couple of years in terms of what works and what doesn’t. We will be working on some changes to the program, and I will do whatever I can to focus more energy on the “freedom” side of the equation. I genuinely do not want to stand in your way!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Thank you for the feedback Jim. Hal and I are discussing our "wish list" for Webs.com and any and all feedback is appreciated.

CubBuilder, is your Chapter a 501(c)(3)? If so, you might be able to find a local hosting company that will donate your site hosting. That has worked great for my chapter. We do pay for the domain registration but our hosting (the most expensive part) is provided at no cost. It never hurts to ask! As Hal suggested, we just put a link on the EAA-sponsored site that auto-redirects to our site. That works well-enough.

Happy Flying,
    Kevin
    Kevin Stahl
    Webmaster - EAA Chapter 2
    www.eaa2.org

Quote Originally Posted by rock4evr View Post
    CubBuilder, is your Chapter a 501(c)(3)? If so, you might be able to find a local hosting company that will donate your site hosting. That has worked great for my chapter. We do pay for the domain registration but our hosting (the most expensive part) is provided at no cost. It never hurts to ask! As Hal suggested, we just put a link on the EAA-sponsored site that auto-redirects to our site. That works well-enough.

Happy Flying,
    Kevin
    Chapter 431 in Brodhead, Wis. uses DreamHost because they offer free hosting to non-profits. They don't make it easy to find on their website, but here is the link with the sign-up instructions:
    http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Non-profit

As rock4evr mentioned, you still have to register your domain name, but that's fairly cheap. We get ours for $15/year.

Pat Weeden, webmaster
    EAA Chapter 431
    www.eaa431.org

Just had a look at our EAA website, it has the correct links, info from the EAA calendar and a link to our real website. Of course, I would like our current newsletter linked on it, will see what I can do to change that - we have another member that does our web editing. One problem with chapters keeping up websites is finding 1. People with skills to do the updating 2. People with time to do updating 3. People that really want to keep a simple website updated.

If there is any way I can help chapters, let me know - using simple free tools one can work on websites.

Carl Bogardus, EAA 555 Newsletter Editor