Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles comment

Young Eagles comment

I joined the EAA mostly so I could participate in the Young Eagles program -- my airplane isn't experimental. I made contact with the YE coordinator for the local chapter, who seemed enthusiastic about having another volunteer. But when he didn't contact me for three months after our meeting, and I've seen groups of kids at the airport apparently doing some YE flights on a couple of occasions, it became obvious that the chapter already has more than enough volunteer pilots. So I asked him if he knew of any other local chapters who have a need for additional volunteers, and he suggested one. I sent an email to the YE contact at that chapter and never received a response.

So it appears that the YE program, at least locally, has a surplus of YE pilots. I'm really glad to see that the program is so well staffed -- it's a great program. Keep up the good work!

Come on up to Fairbanks, AK. Our chapter http://www.1129.eaachapter.org/ could use a few more!
    Quote Originally Posted by GroupW View Post
    I joined the EAA mostly so I could participate in the Young Eagles program -- my airplane isn't experimental. I made contact with the YE coordinator for the local chapter, who seemed enthusiastic about having another volunteer. But when he didn't contact me for three months after our meeting, and I've seen groups of kids at the airport apparently doing some YE flights on a couple of occasions, it became obvious that the chapter already has more than enough volunteer pilots. So I asked him if he knew of any other local chapters who have a need for additional volunteers, and he suggested one. I sent an email to the YE contact at that chapter and never received a response.

So it appears that the YE program, at least locally, has a surplus of YE pilots. I'm really glad to see that the program is so well staffed -- it's a great program. Keep up the good work!

Sorry you've had a bad experience with your chapter. Ours is always looking for pilots and usually sends out emails to all the "interested" pilots in advance.

Note however, you don't need to be working with a chapter to do YE rides. All you need is your little kit from the EAA and some kids.

I'll second what FlyingRon says. You can do one-on-one's if you wish, and you can even stack a few up on the same day.

I'm surprised that the chapter seemed to have a surplus of pilots. Perhaps it's not that they have too many pilots, it's that they don't have enough advertising to attract more YE candidates.

We usually run about 12-18 pilots for our rally's. We use 'em from anyplace they wish to fly from. Not limited to our chapter. Only requirement is that they belong to National (as per National rules). Well, aside from the obvious like being certificated, medical's if non-LSA, etc etc etc.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Sorry you've had a bad experience with your chapter. Ours is always looking for pilots and usually sends out emails to all the "interested" pilots in advance.

Note however, you don't need to be working with a chapter to do YE rides. All you need is your little kit from the EAA and some kids.
    This is correct with one caveat. You don't have the advantage of the EAA's umbrella insurance unless the YE event is registered in advance with national.

I would also second Ron's comment is that this is the exception rather than the rule. Don't let one guy whose communication skills suck defer you from your agenda. Show up to some meetings, get to know some of the other members. Then show up at the YE rally. I'm sure that they won't refuse an additional pilot. If they do, the chapter has other issues.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

This is correct with one caveat. You don't have the advantage of the EAA's umbrella insurance unless the YE event is registered in advance with national.
    Are you sure about this, Bob. I talked with EAA and my understanding was that as long as you meet the requirements (not the advance registration part) you were covered.

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post

I would also second Ron's comment is that this is the exception rather than the rule. Don't let one guy whose communication skills suck defer you from your agenda. Show up to some meetings, get to know some of the other members. Then show up at the YE rally. I'm sure that they won't refuse an additional pilot. If they do, the chapter has other issues.
    I've done Young Eagles flights and I'm not in a chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by somorris View Post
    Are you sure about this, Bob. I talked with EAA and my understanding was that as long as you meet the requirements (not the advance registration part) you were covered.
    Ditto.

The pilot is protected by the EAA insurance provided: he's an EAA (National) member, licensed/medical/current, has his own coverage of at least $100,000/SEAT, and has filled out the ye registration form (and carries it). The chapter insurance covers people helping on the ground during rallies. You must do this under the auspices of an EAA chapter to get coverage for the ground volunteers.

To fly Young Eagles you can affiliate yourself with any type of chapter under the EAA umbrella. That means EAA, IAC, VAA, or Warbird Sq. The Young Eagles Coordinator for IAC Chapter 35 organized his events under the auspices of a local EAA chapter that ran out of energy and folded. Following that chapter's demise, Harlan had a conversation with me, as the IAC Chapter President at that time, and our IAC chapter became the official host of the events.

So if the EAA chapter in your immediate vicinity seems to be underachieving with their Young Eagles program, there may be another one of the EAA family of chapters a couple of miles away that is looking for pilots to participate. And I will note that each chapter has its own personality so you may find it worth your while to "shop around" to find the best fit for your interests.

Our experience in southern NH is that if we can recruit pilots, we can get kids to fill the seats. We are fortunate to have a larger local FBO host our Young Eagle days and we commonly have 12+ pilots who fly 80-100 kids. Harlan Loken, our Young Eagles coordinator reaches out to the local schools and other youth organizations. If he knows more pilots will show up, he reaches out to more organizations that have kids.

And if you find an IAC or VAA or Warbird chapter that does not have a Young Eagles Coordinator, well you can volunteer to organize their Young Eagles day(s). No smart chapter president turns down a volunteer.

And if an IAC chapter president doesn't think that kids want a Young Eagles ride in an acro ship, I can tell how otherwise impatient kids will line up, and let other kids go fly in Pipers and Cessnas, while they wait for a 1G ride in an Extra 300 or a Pitts Special. And my S-2A has an open front cockpit.

Best of luck, Merry Christmas,

Wes
    N78PS