Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles comment

Thanks for all the information. I've ordered supplies from the web site. It looks like there's adequate information on the web to figure out how to do it, and a number to call for questions. I'll feel a bit like I'm competing with the local chapter, but perhaps I'll be able to locate some young people who wouldn't otherwise be aware of the program. In any case, I'll be prepared if and when I do. I've given quite a few flights to young people in the past, and it'll be great to be able to offer the benefits of the YE program to encourage them to continue their experience.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    To fly Young Eagles you can affiliate yourself with any type of chapter under the EAA umbrella. That means EAA, IAC, VAA, or Warbird Sq.
    No, to *FLY* Young Eagles you only need to be a member of the NATIONAL EAA (plus be otherwise legal: licensed, medical, current and have a legal aircraft).
    Once again, there is NO REQUIREMENT to be a member of any CHAPTER to fly Young Eagles or be eligible for the insurance bump up (you just need to meet the above and have 100,000/seat limit already in place).

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    ... and has filled out the ye registration form (and carries it)...
    An issue that will hopefully never be needed is that I would recommend not taking the completed registration & liability waiver form with you on the flight. If it's ever actually needed, it could easily get lost or damaged during an incident.

"Group W" is that really your name? Anyway one thing you might do is contact a local scout chapter if there is one wherever you are. which you don't say.
    In past years scouts used to have an aviation badge, then I think they got anti aviation after listening to legal cautions. Anyway, I was a scout leader when my Son David was that age, and we took all the kids flying in our Piper Cub, except one. We used a personal liability release and permission for all the parents to sign, and to my surprise every parent signed without objection. The only one out of a dozen who didn't go was one boy who was frightened on his own and opted out.

One key point, is that while we invited the whole troop, we did not call it an official scout event so as to avoid any question of liabllity for scouting, it was just a private event.

Of course, you will only fly if the weather is excellent and your safest possible route etc. It is almost imperative to have one or more parents to be a helper and organizer on the ground while you do the flying. And be MOST CAREFUL AROUND PROPS, no loading or even getting near the plane when the prop is turning, and no dumb photos of a kid standing in the prop arc!!!!!

Good luck

There is still a Scouting merit badge for aviation, but I understand that they have made it hard to fly Scouts as a Scouting event. So we have Scouts come to a Young Eagles day so that they can fulfill the requirements for their merit badge. And that supports two organizations at once.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    There is still a Scouting merit badge for aviation, but I understand that they have made it hard to fly Scouts as a Scouting event. So we have Scouts come to a Young Eagles day so that they can fulfill the requirements for their merit badge. And that supports two organizations at once.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Correct, the scouts are annoying as hell. They want $1M smooth, so we double up our scouts with our YE events to get the EAA bump up. BSA wants copies of all sorts of things that we just tell them to take a hike over and so far we haven't run in to any problem with the local council over that piece of bureaucracy.

IMHO this discussion is moving away from the original subject and the issue he raised, which is important to address.

Group W, THANK YOU for bringing this up in the first place. We need this feedback. Your username can be whatever you want it to be.

Someone in the original chapter dropped the ball, we're all human, we're all volunteering at the chapter level, everyone has jobs, families, distractions, or in some cases burnout, and sometimes things get away from us. Please accept my apology on behalf of that original chapter member, and please do not become discouraged.

If you did not receive the kind of welcome or support in your first interactions, then perhaps contact the president of that chapter and ask whether their chapter really does have a surplus of Young Eagles pilots. If so, as mentioned by others, there are plenty of chapters that can use extra pilots.

But another point that was brought up is equally important. Get the little kit from EAA and do your own Young Eagles event whenever, and wherever you like. You are not bound to any one chapter, do not need anyone's permission, etc. Anyone giving a kid their first flight under any circumstance is important and worthwhile.

I also might suggest you send an e-mail to the EAA Young Eagles office, and perhaps they can look into what happened at that chapter to create this oversight, and correct it. We cannot afford to miss one opportunity to create a new young pilot or future aviation supporter. There's too much at stake the way things are now.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

Thanks, VB, for the comments. I don't think there was any oversight at the local chapter, and I'm convinced that the YE coordinator is working very hard and doing a conscientious and excellent job. It's just that there's no need for them to ask an unknown and untested pilot when there are plenty of regulars available. He promptly gave me a recommendation for another chapter to contact when I asked. I am a bit disappointed that the YE coordinator of the other chapter didn't even respond to my email. But I'm glad to see that the program is well staffed.

As I mentioned, I did order some YE supplies so I'll be prepared the next time I run into an interested young person. I really do want to contribute to the program as well as I am able.

Oh, I neglected to respond to Bill Greenwood's question about my name. Yes, my name is Group W. My parents were real Arlo Guthrie fans and even ran a restaurant, but didn't think "Alice" was appropriate for a boy so they picked the next best name. I was a poor athlete in school, so the place where the incompetent players had to sit eventually became known as the "Group W Bench". We did have some lively discussions there, though.

I have flown several "one-on-ones" for YE. This usually happens when some family shows up too late to catch a ride. The kids are always sad, so I set-up a date with the parents and make sure they get a longer ride. I'll fly a short round robin and get the kids switching seats so everyone gets a chance to sit up front and help the pilot. I get some great hand made thank you cards!

GroupW isn't all that bad, I've met a few "Sun Beams" and "Moon Beams" and lets not forget "Dwezel" Zappa! Back in the early 60's James Garner had a TV show called "Maverick" and there are several "Maverick's" walking around the country in their mid-50's.

Joe

Well at least they didn't name him "City of New Orleans"

My cousin, who is named Marshall, named his two kids Deputy and Justice. Strange how the '60s worked...
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com