Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why did they stop making FS?

Hal how do I run or Join FS. I see the little box comes up. I go to join and it says I am in or joined. But how do I get this on FSX? I have FSX opened, do I then go to multi player in FSX?

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Mark I know this is going to be a stupid question, but I seem to ask a lot of stupid questions. People will say no question is a stupid question..well then they have not read mine and people have no problem telling me I post stupid questions...but what is P3D?

Tony
    My dad always said. You don not have to know or have all the answers, you just need to know where to find the answers.

Hi Tony,

in my view there are no stupid questions :-) And your father is a wise man, obviously. :-)

P3D is short for Prepar3d (spelled prepared) which is Lockheed Martins flight simulation software. They licensed Microsofts ESP (the simulation framework behind MS FSX) and develop it further. It is like FSX on steroids, if you like. It is still mainly compatible with FSX, but one should look for dedicated P3D versions of add ons when planning to get something.

HTH
    Mark

I am not sure if any multi-player version of FSX is still around though.
    Tony, the Steam FSX and P3D both offer multiplayer. Both FSX and P3D allow two basic methods of multiplayer: Connect to some server such as what's been discussed above or to VATSIM and such. The other way is to connect directly to another user, with one hosting and up to 8 (or perhaps a few more) can be connected to a single host. A friend and I (both real world pilots -- I used to fly for him) have been doing this since the days of FS98. We've used various programs over the years to talk to each other, currently using a free (both as in beer and as in freedom) program called mumble. We carefully coordinate the aircraft add-ons (and scenery add-ons) that we get so that we both are able to see and fly the same aircraft and scenery as we tool along. We've flown over most of the U.S. at different times (generally in light singles or twins), sometimes flying tight formation, sometimes loosely flying near each other, perhaps with one veering off to see something and the other looking at something different. It's been a great experience to fly for all these years (almost weekly, sometimes more) with a good friend.

P3D offers a lot of enhancements over FSX, as well as better (computer) performance, since it harnesses the power of the graphics card, in addition to the CPU, unlike FSX.

P3D is short for Prepar3d (spelled prepared)
    I think you mean pronounced prepared, since it's spelled Prepar3d...

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by

[...

I think you mean pronounced prepared, since it's spelled Prepar3d...
    Sorry, you're right of course :-)

I checked out P3D. That program is over my head. I am one of those who just want to open a program and use it. This is to in depth for me. But thanks for sharing. Maybe someday I will find a friend who will help me with this program. But for now I will leave it alone.

Thanks Again for sharing.

Tony

That program is over my head. I am one of those who just want to open a program and use it.
    Over your head? Hmmm... Granted that I'm still on P3D v2, but it was almost as simple as FSX to install and use. Is there something specific about P3D V3 that causes a problem?

The multiplayer direct connection in both programs doesn't need much more than finding the IP address of the host then putting it in the dialog box. Even simpler for single "player" (I like "user" better, but...).

If you have specific problems or questions you want answers to, I might be able to help, and there are likely others here, too, that can help.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    Over your head? Hmmm... Granted that I'm still on P3D v2, but it was almost as simple as FSX to install and use. Is there something specific about P3D V3 that causes a problem?

The multiplayer direct connection in both programs doesn't need much more than finding the IP address of the host then putting it in the dialog box. Even simpler for single "player" (I like "user" better, but...).

If you have specific problems or questions you want answers to, I might be able to help, and there are likely others here, too, that can help.
    I have no idea where I landed when I did a google search for this product. But it was all about landscape design and other things like this. I just now did another search after reading your post and came across the correct sight or page.

http://www.prepar3d.com/

This does look to be very cool. Thanks for sharing. I did not know this was out there. My wife says I live under a rock and miss everything...lol

Tony

Glad you found the right site -- Enjoy.

Larry N.

If you want to check what can be done with P3D, there's a screenshot-thread over at SOH (Sim-Outhouse) :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...v3-Screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    If you want to check what can be done with P3D, there's a screenshot-thread over at SOH (Sim-Outhouse) :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...v3-Screenshots
    Wow... I may have to spend 60 bucks on this sim. Looks awesome. I purchased X-Plane and it gives me a head ache when I use it, so I don't. It was a waste of money for me. I wish I could test fly this program to see if I like it. FSX never did give me a head ache when using it. I have no idea why x-plane did and never dreamed it would or any non-motion sim would or could.

Tony