Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why did they stop making FS?

Hal how can I down load a GPS pic of my home field and load this onto FSX. My field looks nothing as it does in real life. No building or homes on the property. It does not show the heli pad either. I would like this to be more realistic. I found this info somewhere once but lost it. It seemed involved to set this up. Can you explain how to do this. It would make using FSX so much better, for me anyway.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Hal how can I down load a GPS pic of my home field and load this onto FSX. My field looks nothing as it does in real life. No building or homes on the property. It does not show the heli pad either. I would like this to be more realistic. I found this info somewhere once but lost it. It seemed involved to set this up. Can you explain how to do this. It would make using FSX so much better, for me anyway.

Tony
    Let me chime in here.
    There are a few vital tools required for scenery design. ADE for airport design, SBuilderX for scenery design in general, as well as various 3d software if you want to build your own scenery objects. It is a good thing to go through a few tutorials and the SDK documentation that comes with FSX or P3D (I would recommend the latter). A good source of information and help, if required, is www.fsdeveloper.com or Sim Outhouse www.sim-outhouse.com , where I am the admin of the Prepar3D forum. A lot of good SIM people are on SOH and there is always help if something comes up.

Cheers,
    Mark

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Let me chime in here.
    There are a few vital tools required for scenery design. ADE for airport design, SBuilderX for scenery design in general, as well as various 3d software if you want to build your own scenery objects. It is a good thing to go through a few tutorials and the SDK documentation that comes with FSX or P3D (I would recommend the latter). A good source of information and help, if required, is www.fsdeveloper.com or Sim Outhouse www.sim-outhouse.com , where I am the admin of the Prepar3D forum. A lot of good SIM people are on SOH and there is always help if something comes up.

Cheers,
    Mark

What he said.

Thanks for chiming in, Mark! And thanks for your work at SOH - that was always one of my favorites.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Hal what great info. Thanks for sharing this. I do believe I confused MS with FSX. Justflight is awesome and seems to use a different engine then FSX. It seems FSX does not use dual core and Justflight's engine does. After I downloaded Justflight my FSX software seemed to run better.

I liked the multi-player option. It would sure be cool to have a bunch of us fly multi-player and all go for a flight somewhere. Something to do on a cold winters day when one does not want to be out in the hangar for it's to cold. Maybe do some short field landings and see who can land the shortest. Things like this for the EAA group or forum members to do together.

I am not sure if any multi-player version of FSX is still around though.
    Happy to chime in, and now sorry if may have confused things a little further...!

To be super clear (though I know you know most of this):

MS = Microsoft, FSX (Flight Simulator X) was a Microsoft product, so you didn't confuse those two. JustFlight isn't a simulator product and doesn't have its own engine - they're a company that makes add-on aircraft for FSX, etc. When you buy and download an aircraft from JustFlight, and then install it in FSX, you're not changing the core FSX engine in any way - just adding another cool airplane to the hangar!

Hope that helps straighten it out the rest of the way.

As for multiplayer, the latest iteration of FSX, Dovetail's FSX Steam Edition, has both local and Internet-based multiplayer. Here's the full description of how it works: https://fsxinsider.com/wp-content/up...r-Features.pdf

An EAA Forums multiplayer bash would be a lot of fun!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Tony
    I use ADE9x (Airport Design Editor) to modify or add airports to FSX. It is a fairly easy program to use and best of all it is free! My local airport was not quite accurate either, with 24,000 airports in the game though they didn't really have the time or resources to make them all 100% true to life. With ADE I was able to adjust the runways and taxi ways to the actual layout, you can overlay a satellite photo to trace over which makes it very easy. I used a plugin for Google Sketch-up to generate 3-D hangars and loaded them into the airport where the real ones were. When all done the airport looked very recognizable in the game without using satellite scenery. If you just want to go the satellite scenery route I found a program called SBuilderX, I haven't really played around with it though.

Thanks for all the info from everyone. I will be busy now working with FSX.

Hal a On-line Multi player, would be a cool addition to this EAA forum. We could log in and fly and not just have conversations on this forum. If this could be done it would be very cool. I am sure others would really enjoy this also. Can you do this for us and EAA?

Tony

P.S.Hal not only have you worked for or on FSX but you are on staff at EAA. Hal my hat goes off to you.

We have a multiplayer flight "hoedown" just about every Saturday over at Avsim. The Comradery is the best part. Been friends with the guys for over 8 years. We have pilots from all over the world joining in during our ~3 hour flights. Discussions during the flights are had on just about anything over unicom - News, politics, events, flight sim stuff, manly things etc.. Make it just about every Saturday unless.. RW flying or chapter event etc..

If interested, here are some links for multiplayer usage -

JoinFS - The new kid on the block! No server is necessary to host, fluid MP visuals (up to 30FPS), super easy to use. The designer is constantly working on this great program with updates coming nearly weekly. Still a beta but robust and error free at this point. (Free, good for FSX (any) thru P3D, Windows only)
    FSHost - The 'ol guy on the block. A dedicated server is necessary to host, visuals limited to 3 FPS updates , easy to use, a mature program. (Free, good for FS2002 (probably deprecated), FS9/2004 thru P3D, Windows/Linux for host, lots of features on the server side) You can download FSHostSpy from the site to see who is hosting a session.

Digital Theme Park - A multiplayer community based on JoinFS (previously FSHost) & TeamSpeak. For a "newbie" I would recommend going here.

TeamSpeak - The de-facto voice client, requires a host server, free.

Sim Outhouse (main site), (flight center) - A flight sim community that has excellent designers, flights and have their own voice & FSHost Servers also have a Combat Flight Sim 3 setup.

Once you go multiplayer there is no looking back. Simming will never be the same.
    Roman Stoviak
    EAA 651 News Publisher & Webmaster

Web : http://www.651.eaachapter.org
    Mobile Web (force) : http://www.651.eaachapter.org/?no_redirect=true
    Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/EAA651

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    We have a multiplayer flight "hoedown" just about every Saturday over at Avsim. The Comradery is the best part. Been friends with the guys for over 8 years. We have pilots from all over the world joining in during our ~3 hour flights. Discussions during the flights are had on just about anything over unicom - News, politics, events, flight sim stuff, manly things etc.. Make it just about every Saturday unless.. RW flying or chapter event etc..

If interested, here are some links for multiplayer usage -

JoinFS - The new kid on the block! No server is necessary to host, fluid MP visuals (up to 30FPS), super easy to use. The designer is constantly working on this great program with updates coming nearly weekly. Still a beta but robust and error free at this point. (Free, good for FSX (any) thru P3D, Windows only)
    FSHost - The 'ol guy on the block. A dedicated server is necessary to host, visuals limited to 3 FPS updates , easy to use, a mature program. (Free, good for FS2002 (probably deprecated), FS9/2004 thru P3D, Windows/Linux for host, lots of features on the server side) You can download FSHostSpy from the site to see who is hosting a session.

Digital Theme Park - A multiplayer community based on JoinFS (previously FSHost) & TeamSpeak. For a "newbie" I would recommend going here.

TeamSpeak - The de-facto voice client, requires a host server, free.

Sim Outhouse (main site), (flight center) - A flight sim community that has excellent designers, flights and have their own voice & FSHost Servers also have a Combat Flight Sim 3 setup.

Once you go multiplayer there is no looking back. Simming will never be the same.
    Wow thanks for this info. I say the same thing about competing against others when running an RC car. Once you compete in a race and feel that excitement from the competition closing in on you or you catching and passing the fastest car on the track, you are hooked. You willnever again want to go out and just " bash " your RC car. I assume this will be the same when going multi-player on a flying sim. One will never want to just fly the sim and not be in multi-player mode.

Thanks again and I will check these sites out. It would be nice of one of these area's or sites had an area for registered EAA members. You can only fly in this mutil-player area if you have an EAA membership. Each week or month have a new mission. One month it could be short field landings, cross winds, tail wheel, mountain flying...ect. For the best they get some sort of metal that is attached to there profile. Kinda like a patch one would but on a jacket but attached to their screen name.

I think this would be kinda cool.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Happy to chime in, and now sorry if may have confused things a little further...!

To be super clear (though I know you know most of this):

MS = Microsoft, FSX (Flight Simulator X) was a Microsoft product, so you didn't confuse those two. JustFlight isn't a simulator product and doesn't have its own engine - they're a company that makes add-on aircraft for FSX, etc. When you buy and download an aircraft from JustFlight, and then install it in FSX, you're not changing the core FSX engine in any way - just adding another cool airplane to the hangar!

Hope that helps straighten it out the rest of the way.

As for multiplayer, the latest iteration of FSX, Dovetail's FSX Steam Edition, has both local and Internet-based multiplayer. Here's the full description of how it works: https://fsxinsider.com/wp-content/up...r-Features.pdf

An EAA Forums multiplayer bash would be a lot of fun!
    Hal you can buy more then just an aircraft from Justflight. I have purchased complete flight sims. One is AirHauler. It does inner react with FSX but it also has it's own info on the operating system needed to operate it. It's different from just FSX.

System Requirements:

• Flight Simulator X or FS2004
    • Pentium III 1.7GHz PC or better
    • 512Mb RAM
    • Windows 8 / 7 / XP / Vista (32-bit or 64-bit)
    • 1Gb hard drive space
    • Microsoft .Net Framework 2 (included)
    • FSUIPC 4.50 for FSX, 3.90 for FS2004 (included)

Is this not different then FSX?

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Let me chime in here.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Mark I know this is going to be a stupid question, but I seem to ask a lot of stupid questions. People will say no question is a stupid question..well then they have not read mine and people have no problem telling me I post stupid questions...but what is P3D?

Tony
    My dad always said. You don not have to know or have all the answers, you just need to know where to find the answers.