Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did they stop making FS?

EXCELLENT! There went any reason for me to ever change from FSX!! I'm so happy about that I don't even mind being previously-ill-infomed! Thanks, Hal!

PS- I took a look at the blog...I'm gonna need that in human English! Lordy!! :-)
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 12-20-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added P.S.

I messed around with m$ flight last night...
    Me no likey...
    I'll stick with FSX...
    It's my fave.
    Y'all sure made a great product.

The only thing that I found that was better than FSX is flying in real life!

I remember the days of FS95 (barely) and each version after that. With each one seeming ever more realistic and bringing more features. I have logged many hours in these simulators and it probably helped lock in aviation as my main interest. It was unfortunate to see such a great and long running series come to an end.

Hal I use to read your's and the other developers' blogs. I was a big fan of the Aces Studios and your guys work.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon21 View Post
    The only thing that I found that was better than FSX is flying in real life!

I remember the days of FS95 (barely) and each version after that. With each one seeming ever more realistic and bringing more features. I have logged many hours in these simulators and it probably helped lock in aviation as my main interest. It was unfortunate to see such a great and long running series come to an end.

Hal I use to read your's and the other developers' blogs. I was a big fan of the Aces Studios and your guys work.
    Wow - thank you very much, Falcon21 - you made my day!

Best -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Your welcome Hal, I'm glad to have made your day!

There is some good news! For those of you that don't know FSX has been re-released on steam by Dovetail Games. It includes some bug fixes, a new online platform and it supposedly runs smoother overall. I just recently got a copy myself even though I already have FSX. I haven't played with it too much yet and have yet to try the new multiplayer but it does seem to run pretty good on my laptop. Hopefully this means they will be working on the next installment of the Flight Simulator series!

By the way Hal, why did you guys have to torture us with Gamespy? I had so many issues online rarely was I able to find a session without any errors. That was my only real gripe with FSX. I remember contacting both FSX support and Gamespy and they both blamed the other. I think we all know it was Gamespy's fault though .

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Why just why did they stop making FSX? I always wanted to ask someone this, and why just why would they shut down the on-line portion of this simulator? I know you can find forums supporting the on-line portion but why did they shut it down?
    Was this a move by TSA? I heard it was for both the stopping of making this simulator and the on-line portion.

Tony
    The way I understand it, Microsoft sold (licensed?) the source code to Lockheed Martin, and they've continued to develop it as Prepar3D--which is alive and well, depending upon who you ask.

TB

From what I understand. This website are from the designers of FSX. I have purchased a few add-on's to FSX and really like them. Hal do you have anything to do with this website and am I correct that some from the original team are running this site?

http://www.justflight.com/
    Last edited by 1600vw; 01-17-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Developers

Would you like your FSX add-on published or put on sale by Just Flight?

If you have an aircraft, airport, scenery, utility or other add-on pack then Just Flight would be very pleased to speak with you.

We offer:

• One to one relationship with your own product manager
    • Top royalty % paid or possibility of outright payment to you
    • Monthly royalty reports and payments
    • Various payment methods including PayPal
    • Your product is on sale as quickly as possible
    • Large exposure to our verified customer database
    • Customer support handled by Just Flight - no hassle for you
    • We do it all. Installers, production, marketing, publicity, distribution at no cost to you
    • It's the complete, experienced, quality, fast-track route to get your product on sale

Please email: alex@justflight.com

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
    The way I understand it, Microsoft sold (licensed?) the source code to Lockheed Martin, and they've continued to develop it as Prepar3D--which is alive and well, depending upon who you ask.

TB
    Mostly true - we/they (Microsoft) licensed the enterprise version, ESP (which some will tell you doesn't stand for Enterprise Simulation Platform, but it does), to Lockheed Martin, who was the biggest customer of the product at the time our group was shut down in January of 2009. ESP started life as a stripped-down version of FSX with an updated license agreement that made it legal to use for training, research, DoD purposes, and all the other things that used to terrify the lawyers we worked with in the Games group at Microsoft. Eventually, ESP started getting some better tools and a few other enhancements, but the $800 price tag was really all about the license agreement. Lockheed Martin now sells it as Prepar3d, and they've continued to iterate, fixing bugs and adding features.

In parallel with this, as Falcon21 pointed out a while back, Dovetail Games in the UK has licensed FSX (the consumer version) and sells it along with add-on content via the Steam platform. They've also released Dovetail Games Flight School which is a training mission based program that clearly still has a lot of FSX guts, but some improved eye candy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    From what I understand. This website are from the designers of FSX. I have purchased a few add-on's to FSX and really like them. Hal do you have anything to do with this website and am I correct that some from the original team are running this site?

http://www.justflight.com/
    JustFlight, based in London, has been around for a long time - if memory serves, they started in 1995 as Interactive Associates and changed their name in about 2000 or so. The head guy there, Publishing Director Alex Ford, is an old friend of mine, and his bio says he started with them in 1997. Anyway, while it's possible that some of my former colleagues may do some contract work for JustFlight, I don't know of anyone who does. As they were in business alongside us (as great friends and partners, I might add) for 15 years, they definitely weren't started by members of our team. And I agree about their add-ons - I'm a big fan!

It's possible that you're thinking of the short-lived product called Microsoft Flight, which came out in February of 2012 and was canceled 5 months later. I know of a few friends and former colleagues who worked on that product, albeit briefly.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hal what great info. Thanks for sharing this. I do believe I confused MS with FSX. Justflight is awesome and seems to use a different engine then FSX. It seems FSX does not use dual core and Justflight's engine does. After I downloaded Justflight my FSX software seemed to run better.

I liked the multi-player option. It would sure be cool to have a bunch of us fly multi-player and all go for a flight somewhere. Something to do on a cold winters day when one does not want to be out in the hangar for it's to cold. Maybe do some short field landings and see who can land the shortest. Things like this for the EAA group or forum members to do together.

I am not sure if any multi-player version of FSX is still around though.