Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawk question

I knew someone back in the early 90's that had a '92ish Hawk. It was close to 300# empty weight. I'd like to see one under 254#, the max allowable under Part 103. I'm sure it could be done but wow, I bet it would be "bare bones."
    Options for a 4-stroke powered UL are somewhat limited because: a) lack of suitable/available, off the shelf engine b) Part 103 weight constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I knew someone back in the early 90's that had a '92ish Hawk. It was close to 300# empty weight. I'd like to see one under 254#, the max allowable under Part 103. I'm sure it could be done but wow, I bet it would be "bare bones."
    Options for a 4-stroke powered UL are somewhat limited because: a) lack of suitable/available, off the shelf engine b) Part 103 weight constraints.
    Yep, as much as most folks would prefer a 4-stroke, supply is a problem. The Hummel (Scott Casler) 1/2 VW is only 87lbs ready-to-fly, but this is a custom-built engine with limited supply. It usually has about a six-month lead time. But the engine is very suitable for Part 103 in a carefully designed, light airframe such as the Legal Eagle.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Thanks for the input. Looks like i'm going to have a wait no matter what i decide to go for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Yep, as much as most folks would prefer a 4-stroke, supply is a problem. The Hummel (Scott Casler) 1/2 VW is only 87lbs ready-to-fly, but this is a custom-built engine with limited supply. It usually has about a six-month lead time. But the engine is very suitable for Part 103 in a carefully designed, light airframe such as the Legal Eagle.
    I Agree, supply of a light weight 4-stoke is a problem. For the "airplane like" ultralights the 1/2 VW is a good choice but at 87+ lbs it is too heavy for most. Remember that most "airplane" types, fisher 202, mini-max, etc. used the Rotax 277. The 277 was only about 69 lbs. with redrive, exhaust , ready to fly. The earlier machines did not have brakes or any instrumentation other than for the engine, (CHT,EGT), sail cloth was not just easier to install it is much lighter than a fabric/paint system also. The Lazair and Maxair Drifter were covered with Mylar film like a model airplane for weight savings. Just like the LSA's have gained weight because people want all the "stuff", the part 103 machines got fat as well. The 4-stroke is doable but full attention must be given to weight control.

The more research i do, the more i am convinced that the BYF is the best choice. More than i want to spend, but looks like i have no other choice. I will have to add a couple of instruments, but am considering the tri-gear with full enclosure. It does not come with a VSI, or altitude indicator, but Belite sells guages reasonable. BYF said to send them any additional guages and they will install them. There's around a year waiting period with the BYF, and delivery will be around $700.00 or so. I also like the Belite, but the BYF appears to be built more solid than Belite, plus a Belite with a 4 stroke is a LOT more money than the BYF. I sure would like to be able to talk to someone that has flown a BYF!
    I sure appreciate all the input and info from everyone here, and if anyone know of anyone that has flown a BYF, please let me know.

There was a guy in the BYF thread at the HomebuiltAirplanes who posted a sensible-sounding write-up. Their forum is down right now, but from I recall, he said to watch out for the moment of tail-down. The BYF tailwheel has no springs in it, so you have to straighten the rudder momentarily as the tail comes down. It's the same habit as straightening the nosewheel of Piper Cherokee when nose comes down and it's easy to master. Start with zero cross-wind and work your way up. Another thing he posted was that the braking system takes a bit of practice too, since you always have to brake with both feet (one can step stronger than the other of course). Otherwise, it's pretty much a normal airplane without any vices, apparently.

That said, I don't know how hot a pilot you are... You might want to take it seriously. When I bought my quasi-ultralight, I pranged it on the second flight by letting it three-point before the stick was all the way back. Did $800 in damage. I have 250 hours, 14 in tailwheel.

P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot that they have a nosewheel model now. That makes it much easier.

Zaitcev,
    Thanks for the info. We're about the same in total flying time, although i have zero time in taildragger. If i go with the BYF, i will get the tri-gear. I've flown the Skipper, C-152, Sundowner, Warrier, an Ercoupe, and a couple others, although it's been a few years. I'm planning on going up with a guy in Ohio that has a 2 place Challenger to get the feel of a UL. Safety is number one, so i do take flying anything very serious. I've always been extremely picky, making sure the weather is good and the equipment all works right. Just looking for a little Ul to fly around my local area, i miss flying, thought about going lsa, but there's still too much red tape for me going that way. I plan to keep it and fly out of K-62 (Falmouth, Ky.) airport, where i'm on the board of directors. Thanks again, and hopefully i can read the write-up you mentioned. I believe the've only sold around a dozen or so BYF's so far, so there's not much info available yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jrees View Post
    Zaitcev,
    Thanks for the info. We're about the same in total flying time, although i have zero time in taildragger. If i go with the BYF, i will get the tri-gear. I've flown the Skipper, C-152, Sundowner, Warrier, an Ercoupe, and a couple others, although it's been a few years. I'm planning on going up with a guy in Ohio that has a 2 place Challenger to get the feel of a UL. Safety is number one, so i do take flying anything very serious. I've always been extremely picky, making sure the weather is good and the equipment all works right. Just looking for a little Ul to fly around my local area, i miss flying, thought about going lsa, but there's still too much red tape for me going that way. I plan to keep it and fly out of K-62 (Falmouth, Ky.) airport, where i'm on the board of directors. Thanks again, and hopefully i can read the write-up you mentioned. I believe the've only sold around a dozen or so BYF's so far, so there's not much info available yet.
    Get your tailwheel endorsement--you will have a lot of fun and it will open up your options when looking for a plane.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Get your tailwheel endorsement--you will have a lot of fun and it will open up your options when looking for a plane.
    I second the motion. Tail wheel flying is not difficult just different and requires some transition. I have not flown the BUF but would like to. In the past I did considerable Hawk flying and will highly recommend the model, especially with the tail wheel.