Thread: Engine first test run

Engine first test run

I have had my engine at the overhaul shop for some time. I did say when I sent it in that price was the big concern and I wasn't in a hurry for it. Man those were cryptic words, it has been few years.
    But, finally yesterday was the first run on the test stand, and it seemed to go well, Ran smoothly, sounded good, and no leaks. He's got to do a few more hours at increasing power before temps start to come down and its considered run in enough for flight.

Good news indeed. What engine is it?

Ron Wanttaja

R R Merlin Model 76

Putting that in a Tiger ????????.

Sounds like she's going back home over seas, you gave her a good home here in the States. Hope the new owner enjoys her.

I just came back today from Sacramento and seeing test runs yesterday. It may be only a stock engine, no Strega or Dago Red or Voodoo, but still its pretty impressive, not just noise, but it shakes the ground. It's like you woke up some great beast in his cave from a long hibernation and he's coming out. He uses a bigger than normal prop on the test stand, a big 4 blade metal one from a Skyraider and running normal average cruise, plus 3lbs or 36 in and 2300 rpm, there is a lot of air being moved, a lot thrust, and you look at the test bus to make sure its not going to jump the chocks.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-13-2019 at 04:52 PM.

I thought I could go see the engine run and it be interesting, but a bit out side me. Not so, its like a fat cop walking by the Krispy kreme store, your mouth waters.
    If you've been fortunate enough to have Merlin time, it is habit forming. The sound, the almost instant throttle response and power of 8 or 9 times that of most engines just stays with you. Things like density altitude and service ceiling just lose any need for cautious hesitancy.

The engine has been shipped back to us from California as of Friday, and is here safe and sound.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-29-2019 at 07:33 AM.