Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lycoming Camshaft Inspection

Lycoming Camshaft Inspection

Is there any way short of complete engine disassembly to inspect a Lycoming camshaft and lifters for corrosion........I have an HI0-360-A1A converted to an Experimental I0-360-A1A
    several years ago after a complete overhaul..........It was flown less than 20 hours and has not ran or had any long term storage methods done to it.........After hearing the fact that
    Lycoming camshafts tend to rust during long periods of nonuse I would like to inspect the cam lobes and the lifters without a complete disassembly if possible...........Help !!

Remove. A front cylinder and you can take a look.

Actually, you need to remove both a front and a rear cylinder to see the entire cam. No other way to get to it.

There is a Lyco SB that describes removing the valve covers, pulling the pushrods out, collapsing the hydraulic valve lifters and measuring the cam lift with a dial gauge.

No easy answers.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Thanks Guys...........That is better than a complete disassembly..........I presume that a cylinder can be pulled without pulling the piston all the way out........Just enough to remove the piston pin ??

keltro

What you are going to do is turn the engine until your piston is at top dead center, then remove the cylinder so as to slide it right off the piston and gently lower the piston and connection rod until it rests on the case. You can then set the cylinder aside and take a good look at the camshaft lobes. You will need a ring compressor tool on the piston to slide the cylinder back onto it. While you have the cylinder off, you should install a new cylinder base O-ring, unless you know that the one that is there is almost new.

If you yourself are going to do this, just in case you have not done this much, I should mention that when you take the valve rockers out and want to remove the push rods, you want to be carefull not to pull the hydraulic lifters out and/or lose track of them.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

You do not need to remove the piston from the cylinder. Simply pull it out far enough to remove the buttons and the pin. A helper makes this easy to do. A new o ring is definitely a good idea. Done this way you will not need a ring compressor.

I will offer the caution that on some engines, you will find that using the remove the wrist pin method, the wrist pin will not just slide out. Do not hammer it out. You have some leverage from the wrist pin end of the connecting rod into the big end of the connecting rod and you do not want to damage the bearing at the big end. If you run into this, and you are willing to remove more baffling to get space to work, you can rig up a two jaw bearing puller to gently push the wrist pin to get it moving.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by keltro View Post
    Is there any way short of complete engine disassembly to inspect a Lycoming camshaft and lifters for corrosion........I have an HI0-360-A1A converted to an Experimental I0-360-A1A
    several years ago after a complete overhaul..........It was flown less than 20 hours and has not ran or had any long term storage methods done to it.........After hearing the fact that
    Lycoming camshafts tend to rust during long periods of nonuse I would like to inspect the cam lobes and the lifters without a complete disassembly if possible...........Help !!
    If it was me I would pull the cylinders off the pistons and inspect the cylinder bores. If they are steel cylinders they may have rust pitting. I have done this several times and reused the same rings with no problems.

When pulling the cylinder be sure to place a clean rag for padding in the crankcase cylinder bore (under the rod) as soon as the cylinder is loose. This will help prevent damage to the crankcase bore if the rod/piston assembly is allowed to drop as the cylinder is pulled free.

Help with Lycoming Service Bulletin

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    There is a Lyco SB that describes removing the valve covers, pulling the pushrods out, collapsing the hydraulic valve lifters and measuring the cam lift with a dial gauge.

Wes
    N78PS
    Do you happen to have the Lycoming Service Bulletin number, that describes process for checking cam using cam lift measurements? How about a web link to the service bulletin?

Also, about how long does this procedure take if being done for the first time?

About how long should the procedure take, assuming one has done it a few times already?

Thanks, Wayne