Bill/Sam, what's an "I pad"? Ain't that one of those things pirates wear? I think that would mess up your depth perception- that's critical when landing! Just kidding guys, I'm with you though Bill. I too started flying in the last century; sometime around when electronic slide rules came out (that's a "calculator" to all you kids). I too have yet to encounter a dead chart battery. Although, I did borrow one of those GPS gadgets when I brought my latest plane home. I found the "moving map" and airspace display extremely useful. It did help with comm between approach etc. since I knew exactly where I was and where I was supposed to go. Despite the congested, fast traffic I encountered in the Pensacola area I found comm with ATC very easy with the tech help. So, despite being a minimalist I do like the tech stuff too. But with regard to ATC communication, stick to the basics and just talk. They'll just talk back. It isn't anything more than that. I was taught and remember the old "who you are, where you are, what do you want to do" format. Works every time!