Thread: Interesting affordable VFR GPS solution

Interesting affordable VFR GPS solution

Gipsi Apps VFR Nav+ is an inexpensive GPS solution using a $5 app, Google Earth and an Android phone or tablet. It even offers voice prompts to keep you on course. Creator/president/cook/bottle washer John Benedict is a GA pilot. I have no connection to this company or product other than thinking it's pretty neat. See also Clutton FRED - Inexpensive aviation GPS in the FRED spirit. Cheers, Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Avare is a free option that uses aviation maps and databases:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ds.avare&hl=en
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 01-09-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

That also looks like a neat app and worth giving a try, though only useful in the USA and Canada as it relies on FAA sectionals and other FAA charts.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Just because I caution new builders to buy their electronic/panel at the end of the build I do not always follow my own recommendations. I now have 3 portable aviation GPS units - by today's standards: big, clunky, expensive to update (one not able to anymore), and power hungry. They were "bargains" that I could not pass up and to be honest I had fun with them - but to look at the purchases honestly - I threw away hundreds of dollars - as my plane is unfinished. The shift to tablet type devices and creative programs (apps) from very talented authors is revolutionizing nearly every field of interest. it makes little sense to me to invest in dedicated portable equipment when one device (platform) can morph so easily.
    For the price of just one of my GPS units I could have been using the device for all kinds of activities in addition to aviation GPS. Sometimes we need to learn the hard way - might listen to my own best advice.

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    That also looks like a neat app and worth giving a try, though only useful in the USA and Canada as it relies on FAA sectionals and other FAA charts.

I've used it and liked it a lot. If I still had a 'Droid, I'd probably still be using it. That said, I am very happy with Foreflight, even though it costs money ($70/yr for the package I use). It provides GPS navigation and a whole lot more. There are several apps out there that combined will give about the same functionality, but it's more convenient for me, a near-Luddite, to work with just the all-in-one program.

Matthew, i loaded the gipsi apps trial out of the play store. i may be doing something wrong, but i don't see airspace or tfr plots on it. looks like it uses google maps and google earth like my ground navigator apps. haven't gone flying with it yet. have you? appears it does not "take the charts with you" but instead drops them when not connected on line...if that's true in the air, it's cute but worthless to me in USA for flight navigation as compared to Avare.

Additional range information

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    Matthew, i loaded the gipsi apps trial out of the play store. i may be doing something wrong, but i don't see airspace or tfr plots on it. looks like it uses google maps and google earth like my ground navigator apps. haven't gone flying with it yet. have you? appears it does not "take the charts with you" but instead drops them when not connected on line...if that's true in the air, it's cute but worthless to me in USA for flight navigation as compared to Avare.
    Hello cdrmuetzel,

I have actually examined this issue. The GiPSi app (vfr+) uses the Google engine. There is a lot of tile caching that happens in the background. For many reasons, Google keeps their rules secret. I can tell you though, if you start the app when connected to a WiFi and show the MAP screen that the app will cache that location and an area around it that depends on your available memory. I have a Samsung 7" and if I peruse the route I plan to fly and a couple different zoom levels that it will be automatically cached and works fine in the sky with no data source. I have that it works fine up to 300 miles. Try it in your car. Plus it does cover the whole world.
    Last edited by GiPSi; 01-10-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GiPSi View Post
    Hello cdrmuetzel,

I have actually examined this issue. The GiPSi app (vfr+) uses the Google engine. There is a lot of tile caching that happens in the background. For many reasons, Google keeps their rules secret. I can tell you though, if you start the app when connected to a WiFi and show the MAP screen that the app will cache that location and an area around it that depends on your available memory. I have a Samsung 7" and if I peruse the route I plan to fly and a couple different zoom levels that it will be automatically cached and works fine in the sky with no data source. I have that it works fine up to 300 miles. Try it in your car. Plus it does cover the whole world.
    Thank you, gipsi. That confirms it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    Thank you, gipsi. That confirms it.
    You are welcome. I should add that I fly a bugsmasher that only goes 160kts and most of my flights are less than 3 hours!