Thread: Diabetics

Diabetics

Hey...Got a quick question??? Is there flying restrictions for diabetics....

Yes. But hoops can be jumped through to get certified.

There is an EAA doc that occaisionally chimes in on these types of topics, however there is also Dr. Bruce on the AOPA forums that will detail for you everything you will need to do in order to get a medical. Of course, you need to be an AOPA member to access the forums, but you can post anonymously if you want once you become a member.

Alternatively, you can visit his website http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Depends on what sort of diabetes you have. If you are on oral-medication only (Type II) and have been on the drugs without side effects for 60 days, a recent A1C and statement of no other abnormal (vision, neuro, renal, cardiovascular) problems normally associated with the disease, you can get special issuance form Joklahoma city fairly straight forward.

If you are on insulin, first off you're only getting a third class at best. In addition to the above, you need some fairly specific things to not appear in your history (hypoglycemic episodes, etc...). The paperwork requirements are also way more involved on the initial issuance, be well advised to see the doctor mentioned above or one who has done such (successfully) before. Once issued, there are very special limitations on your flying (no outside US, special blood testing and snack procedures while flying, etc...). I knew a guy with one of these issuances, he had a one-touch velcro'd to the yoke.

As Doctor Bruce would tell you, regardless of what the FAA wants, YOU want to make sure you are sufficiently treated (by whatever means it takes) to get the sugars under control. Elevated A1c is cumulative, your organs are suffering the longer you let it go. I can give you the complete ugliness of it if you want. My stepson pretty much let himself go out of control while at college and now at the age of 30 is suffering severe neurological and renal problems. He's on dialysis three times a week.

If you are Type II and diet controlled, your AME can issue you an unrestricted Class I, II, or III.

Type II diabetes is what is called an AME Assisted Special Issuance (AASI). That means the FAA will need to review your initial application, after which you should get an authorization to receive subsequent issuances directly from your AME (though usually on an annual basis rather than the 2 or 5 year cycle if you have a Class III). You will need routine lab work and a note from your treating doctor. A well-controlled type II case is not in any way a show-stopper, but I'm not going to pretend that dealing with the FAA on special issuance cases is ever stress-free. If you are "pre-diabetic" (on meds for slightly elevated blood sugar) or diet-controlled for several years, the process is much, much easier and generally goes no farther than your AME. Type I is even certifiable, but subject to a lot more requirements.

Feel free to give us a call if we can help in any way. I can get you in touch with a volunteer AME if you or your doctor have technical questions.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Thanks you guys.........still confused kinda but really want to fly.....!!! Thanks

I second the recommendation above that you contact Dr. Bruce on the AOPA forums. He can be sort of gruff (in my opinion) but he will tell you exactly what you need to do and realistically what your chances are of success. Note he has his own web site if you are not an AOPA member.

Do make sure that you have and understand all the information that your doctor gave you on your condition. From the above you can see that it matters because there are different kinds and degrees of diabetes.