Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scoop on Driver's license as Medical for recreational flying up to 180HP

Quote Originally Posted by dvanderm View Post
    It would seem that if it became a requirement that pilots participated in the Health Related Training Program, they could self-govern their ability to fly on any given day in the light of transient problems like kidney stones.
    Not to put too fine a point on things, but isn't that what we do anyway? A valid medical doesn't excuse a pilot from doing a medical self check before each flight.

I grounded myself for the last two weeks due to a really nasty Summer Cold, for example.

Naturally when I felt okay to fly we had thunderstorms....
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Sport Flyer View Post
    I'd like to see antiques like the PT-17 Stearman be part of the light Sport catagory. I owned a civilian Stearman for over 13 years and once i decided to go Light Sport, I could no longer legally fly Stearman. It stalls at 46, cruises at 90 give or take, so what's the big deal? Anyway, I have begun to seek out a J3 so I can still get into the air.
    I have for some time voiced that the restriction be FIXED PITCH and FIXED GEAR. My reasoning was to allow for all but complex aircraft and include the many antique aircraft that would fall into this group. Using fixed pitch as the defining element would limit horsepower to a practical level. The 180hp limit will let me fly my Acro Sport II or a Pitts, Glasair II, etc. under the rule but keep me out of a Stearman or Waco. Makes no sense. The new proposal is a step in the right direction though.

I agree wholeheartedly with your observation, Frank. My bigger point was that by being denied a medical as I have because I have a history of kidney stones, I am currently barred from acting as a sport pilot and, unless things were changed, this new ruling would not help either. I certainly know enough to ground myself when i have symptoms of kidney stone problems, but that doesn't cut it in the eyes of the FAA.

I'm sorry to hear that, and don't really understand the FAA reasoning for grounding based on that.

Yes, a kidney stone puts one down for the count (I had my one experience with them - terrible!), but its not like they don't telegraph themselves long before the Calling For The Lord/demanding morphine stage.

They wouldn't give you a Special for that?

The big thing about this rule (if passed) is that it will stop muddying the water between PPL and SP, and forcing one set of pilots into another's rules.

As a Sport Pilot, I have no problem with the restrictions placed on my license; I selected it because it best matched the type of flying I do and the types of aircraft I prefer.

It would really chafe me if for some odd reason they suddenly told me that I could only fly ultralights as an example. I'd be griping about the five gallon tank, and asking why it couldn't have more and still be considered one (the airplane I'm building will probably be within a few pounds of UL, but the 11 gallon tank puts it firmly into Experimental).

The Ultralight guys would probably look at me the same way I look at PPL holders that gripe about Sport Pilot rules - it is what it is.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I think this is a great step. These two organizations should have many many proposals like this for General Aviation (non-corporate). The real proposal should be that GA (non-corporate) should be operating under the same rules as Boating. Why can a boater operate a boat under USCG rules and look at the rules the FAA makes a GA aircraft and pilot operate under. Crazy.

I just wish they would do away with the catch 22 situation moving forward. People that try to get a valid medical should not be punished for the rest of their lives, while others with the same condition do not try and continue to fly with a DL.

Quote Originally Posted by EZRider View Post
    I just wish they would do away with the catch 22 situation moving forward. People that try to get a valid medical should not be punished for the rest of their lives, while others with the same condition do not try and continue to fly with a DL.
    That's implying that people seek out a Sport Pilot license because they know they are medically unfit to fly - and it's not true.

I'm in hale health and could pass the medical no problem. I became a Sport Pilot because it matches my flying habits and was far less expensive than a PPL to obtain.

Why spend money on stuff like night flying when I have zero desire to fly at night (or in less than VFR conditions)?

It's also completely fair that since it's been established that self-certifying (along with a driver's license) and flying a light, simple, one passenger only aircraft under daytime VFR conditions below 10K feet altitude is a (medically) low risk activity that PPL holders with expired medicals can fly under the same rules.

Sport Pilot isn't broke. The Private Pilot rules are.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 10-03-2011 at 04:57 AM.

Sport pilot

Frank, you are naive if you think that people fly light sport just because of cost. When you are on a Special Issue medical you have risk of losing it all every year when you apply. Many others have conditions that would put them at risk for losing a standard medical. I would say that the majority flying light sport are those who could not pass a third class medical. That said, it has proven that the third class is not really needed.
    There are many medical issues that would prevent getting a third class, but should be recognized as not a problem for light sport and the FAA should recognize this.

Those aren't Sport Pilots - they're PPL's flying under Sport Pilot rules.

There is a huge difference.

"Why not seek to change the little-used Recreational Pilot Certificate by eliminating the Medical as herein described, as well as the 50nm flight distance limitation? The other restrictions alluded to are already in place for Recreational Pilots, thus the whole process would be less involved and more easily promulgated by the FAA. This could rejuvenate the Recreational Pilot category to the popular entry-level ticket it was meant to be." - These were my comments on the original video on e-Hotline, which would not post over there for some reason. I'm posting them here to record my support for the proposal and suggest a means by which it could be accomplished with minimal fuss. Basically reiterating what Joe is saying over here on Forums. I too feel that with the FAA, little steps are the way to go for more immediate results. Besides, why reinvent the wheel? Recreational Pilot is already on the books; drop the Medical and 50nm and you're good to go. The results will be profound, maybe even more so than Sport Pilot.

Fly safe,
    John Horahan