Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scoop on Driver's license as Medical for recreational flying up to 180HP

allow all recreational and "higher" certificate levels to exercise recreational privileges with driver's license instead of third-class medical? i agree with wacojoe, i think that's what they meant. have to admit i was too shocked to comprehend at first read, and still not sure - where is the link to the actual proposal? IF that is what is proposed, it's a logical next step to dropping 3rd class entirely.....wow.

I do not believe that the proposal is available yet. The article stated that EAA/AOPA would submit it after the first of the year to allow time for them to develop it.
    Rick

Joe,
    Thank you for the info. I would hope that it would be a little less restrictive in the distance part, but like I said before I will take what I can get.

Rick

On cross-border, particularly to Canada, this rule also closely mirrors the Canadian Recreational License (and right now those guys can't fly to the USA for the same reasons a Sport Pilot can't fly to Canada), so harmonization and a bilateral agreement shouldn't be that hard to reach on that score.

The daytime VFR, one passenger, 180 HP limitations are a stroke of brilliance. Not only does it match the Recreational Pilot restrictions (less medical and cross country distance restrictions, which a RP can extend with an endorsement) but it also matches the kind of flying the vast majority of PPL's perform anyway.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by RBaptist View Post
    WacoJoe - that is what I am wondering - the Recreational license is limited to 50nm from 'home base'.
    cfr 14 pt61.101

A person exercising the privileges of a recreational pilot certificate may act as PIC on a flight that exceeds 50 nautical miles from departure if that person carries a logbook endorsed by an authorized instructor certifying the person has received ground and flight cross-country training and been found proficient in cross-country flying.

Steve, where are you getting your statistics for all these medically caused car crashes that you mention?
    Most car crashes are speeding, running red lights, or many are driving drunk.
    I don't think many are really medically related. Let's say a driver had to pass a medical test to get a drivers license. It just means he is sober at that test. Doesn't prevent him from being out at 2 am that Fri night when the strip club closes and driving drunk. That's a behavior issue , not really a medical one. It's also a cultural issue that like smoking our society has bars and stores that promote drinking when you are out socially, despite some ads to the other side. If one is going to the big game or big Nascar or something similar and drink all those Buds, how is one getting home sober?
    Flying has a lot less promotion of drinking associated with it, for instance shows that don't sell beer, and very specific regs that prohibit ANY drinking within 8 hours of flying.

You say the low accident rate from medical causes shows what a great job the medical regs are doing. Balonly! Each morning I put on my left sock before my right one. I brush my teeth standing up. I enter my car from the left side. Why? Well of course to keep the pink elephants away,and it must work since there is not a single packaderm (sp) around, of any color.
    If the FAA medical was all that was keeping the grim reaper away; then what about the LSA history or the last 5 years of flying without one single medical related accident or so says EAA. And how about paragliders and hang gliders, both much more demanding medically than airplanes. Do you see the sky raining down on us from them?

When you fly, do you feel a lot of stress, or do you feel happy and relaxed?
    For me, 99% of the time flying is a stress reducer not an inducer?
    I'd be a lot less healthy if I could not fly.

For me stress is trying to write on some computer.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-28-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Good discussion. I guess my thought is that I hope they listen to the folks that would be interested in this sort of rating before writing the rules. The article gives HOPE, but it leaves much to the imagination.......

As a Sport Pilot, I currently hold endorsements into Class D, C and in aircraft exceeding 87kts. I have had cross country training, VOR Navigation - basically most of what a PPL would get (exception being 'official' night training) though my instructor had me perform several night landings.

The TWO things that frustrate me (and keep in mind that I LOVE flying as a Sport Pilot) are the limitations on Gross Weight and Passengers.

The first creates many hurdles to aircraft ownership. There are PLENTY of used C150/152/172 out there that would fit the bill at costs in the 30-40K range (instead of the 100-120K range of most modern LSAs). There are Piper aircraft, even some Aeroncas that are not qualified as LSAs, but would make GREAT recreational aircraft.
    The Passenger restriction is obvious. I'd like to be able to use the aircraft to fly with my family. Can't currently do that. And YES, I can qualify for a medical. It is just more cost/hassle/potential problems LATER that I would rather not have to deal with for the type of flying that I like. (Simple, for fun, with the occasional cross country trip to see our great country).

Seems like the rec license would be a really good step to resolving many of the concerns if they do the following (in order of priority):
    -Remove the 50nm restriction
    -Remove the 1 PAX limitation (Heck - if they NEED a limitation - make it 4 PAX). That would probably cover 98% of people's wishes. Most 6 seaters out there really can only carry 4 people with enough fuel to go anywhere anyway.

I'm tellin' ya - do those two things and it would be HUGE for aviation.

But again - I'm not complaining. I love flying and feel really blessed to be able to fly at all! Just want to see aviation grow so we can all keep the privilege long into the future and more can experience the thrill, friendships, and sense of ownership and responsibility that the aviation community brings.

Grounded

This is great news. The current rule that prohibits those who have had a medical and been denied a renewal needs to be changed. It would seem that if it became a requirement that pilots participated in the Health Related Training Program, they could self-govern their ability to fly on any given day in the light of transient problems like kidney stones.

While the restrictions in this proposal may seem like half-a-loaf, it is probably the way to go. Those interested should watch the AOPA/EAA interview on 9/28 about the proposal a few threads down from this one. Note that the proposal is not for a rule change, but a request for an exemption from the existing rule re the medical certification for recreational pilots. I think the two organizations have done their homework and may be able to pull this off, which will be good news for a lot of pilots.

I'd like to see antiques like the PT-17 Stearman be part of the light Sport catagory. I owned a civilian Stearman for over 13 years and once i decided to go Light Sport, I could no longer legally fly Stearman. It stalls at 46, cruises at 90 give or take, so what's the big deal? Anyway, I have begun to seek out a J3 so I can still get into the air.