Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shell Announces Unleaded 100-Octane Fuel

Thumbs Up Shell Announces Unleaded 100-Octane Fuel

This is great news. From AVweb:

Shell Oil announced on Tuesday that is had developed an unleaded 100-octane piston engine fuel to replace 100LL and, presumably, the fuel will enter the FAA’s recently established fuel testing and certification process. In a press release, Shell said the fuel is a culmination of 10 years in R&D and initial testing has been done with two OEMs, Lycoming and Piper. Read More

Exclamation who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Check 6 View Post
    This is great news. From AVweb:
    If its still 7$ bucks a gallon who cares, cept SHELL & smell'y liberal's. GA is dead where l live. 80 aircraft, no-one flies anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If its still 7$ bucks a gallon who cares, cept SHELL & smell'y liberal's. GA is dead where l live. 80 aircraft, no-one flies anymore.
    One reason to go Sport Pilot or LSA or EAB. My airplane burns 1.5 per hr. cruises 70 if I cleaned her up with wheel pants and streamed line struts I could see 80. She has a VNE of 100. I may not be traveling places far. But I am flying and enjoying being one with my airplane.

Now step up to say a 912, you are still burning auto fuel and now you are going places, all on the cheap, as aviation goes. One reason SP program is taking off. More and more are going this route right out of the gate.

Tony

Friend of mine just bought a load of 100LL for $4.60 per gallon which I thought was pretty reasonable. I usually mix with auto fuel about 50/50 in my 0200/L16 (Aeronca).
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    If its still 7$ bucks a gallon who cares, cept SHELL & smell'y liberal's.
    Mike -

Don't do this. There's no room for political name-calling here, period.

- Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

We have about a dozen planes at the grass strip where I'm based. Many of them fly on weekends and some on weekdays. I fly just about every weekend that the weather is good, burning 100LL in my C-85-powered Pietenpol. I use ethanol-free mogas when I can get it. I guess it's just a liberal thing - you know, being smart enough to calculate the various costs of flying and concluding that fuel costs are a relatively small portion of the overall. Of course, all my conservative pilot friends have figured this out, too, so maybe it's not a political thing at all. Who'd'a thunk, eh, Mike?

As to Shell's announcement, there's a pretty good conversation going on over at Mac's blog on this topic:

http://macsblog.com/2013/12/shell-is...nleaded-avgas/

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Boatright View Post
    I guess it's just a liberal thing - you know, being smart enough to calculate the various costs of flying and concluding that fuel costs are a relatively small portion of the overall.
    Jeff - please don't escalate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Boatright View Post
    ...so maybe it's not a political thing at all.
    Much better.

Now if you guys don't mind, I'd like to stop moderating and get back to building an airplane!
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 12-07-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Clumsy phone typing.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Much better.

Now if you guys don't mind, I'd like to stop moderating and get back to building an airplane!
    May I join you? I would love to help......
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 12-07-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Fixed quote.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    One reason to go Sport Pilot or LSA or EAB. My airplane burns 1.5 per hr. cruises 70 if I cleaned her up with wheel pants and streamed line struts I could see 80. She has a VNE of 100. I may not be traveling places far. But I am flying and enjoying being one with my airplane.

Now step up to say a 912, you are still burning auto fuel and now you are going places, all on the cheap, as aviation goes. One reason SP program is taking off. More and more are going this route right out of the gate.

Tony
    What engine are you running to get a 1.5 gph fuel burn?

Quote Originally Posted by pacerpilot View Post
    What engine are you running to get a 1.5 gph fuel burn?

1/2 vw. I have yet to use two gallons of gas flying.