Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exp database?

Exp database?

Is there a searchable/indexable database of experimental a/c.....such that a person could look at a list showing performance for all 4-place single engine >150kt aircraft, for example.

I confess I am a little surprised none exists.

Doesn't the Kitplanes annual list sorta do what you are looking for? I believe that there have been folks attempting to start up independent databases. But if my memory serves me correctly (more than 3-4 years ago), they got nastygrams from Kitplanes legal team and took the databases down.

If it wasn't for some of the new writers and Paul Dye's efforts to turn things around, I would have let my subscription lapse. I think wasting three editions to print those databases, which should be online on their website instead, takes away from the articles that are of interest to me.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Kitplanes had a database online that you can access if you are a subscriber. I haven't looked at it for a couple years, the search & sort function didn't work very well.

Thanks.
    So, let me begin with these requirements and see what we get, expect modifications later.
    Folks, what readily available experimental a/c (kit/plans/even used) is out there which
    -will carry 4 people with light bags
    -single engine
    ->150kts cruise
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Taylor View Post
    Thanks.
    So, let me begin with these requirements and see what we get, expect modifications later.
    Folks, what readily available experimental a/c (kit/plans/even used) is out there which
    -single engine
    ->150kts cruise
    Of course, I'm highly biased, but a RV-10 meets those requirements. Mine was just listed as 609th reported to Van's as flying.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
    Of course, I'm highly biased, but a RV-10 meets those requirements. Mine was just listed as 609th reported to Van's as flying.

bob
    Congrats!

Thanks. And congrats! There are a couple in my parts, very appealing.
    So, is that about the only model that fits the specs?

Thanks.
    -single engine
    ->150kts cruise
    Dave,

Here are the ones I know based on the same general requirements. (I am sure there are more)
    Velocity XL, TXL, V-Twin
    RV-10
    Lancair Evolution, IV, IV-P
    Epic

Tim

Thanks. And congrats! There are a couple in my parts, very appealing.
    So, is that about the only model that fits the specs?
    Well it depends on your mission and budget.

For example, the EPIC will cost 9-10 times that of the RV-10. Lancair's are more expensive as well. The also have more bells and whistles for that extra expense. Do you prefer working with aluminum or fiberglass/carbon fiber? Personally, I found aluminum much easier to become proficient than fiberglass. The RV-10 is mostly aluminum, but does have a fair amount of fiberglass. Each have their unique benefits and quirks. You just have to determine which one meets your needs the best.

Of course, you could purchase a flying aircraft built by somebody else. But I can tell you that there are very few things in life that were more satisfying that flying an aircraft you built on it's first flight. Building also allows you to spread the expense over the time of the build, which was a fundemental requirement for me.

If you want to learn more about the RV-10, drop me an email and we can arrange a time to talk.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying