Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimental or Certified?

Experimental or Certified?

Hi everyone,
    I need some advice but let me first give a little introduction about myself. I'm a 28 years old recent daddy wanting to fly since a child. Well money was not enough to do both college and fligh school so I decided to finish school and get a bachelor in finance. After 3 years due to marriage, a home , a baby, and a demanding job I have not been able to finish my ppl (got only 40 hrs). Another contributing factor being that there is not a flight school in my city, I used to have to commute to San Antonio and Mcallen Tx when in college for flight lessons. It is more challenging now because working in the energy sector (100+ hrs per week) leaves me with limited time with family if on top of that I have to drive 5 hrs. But if could fly instead of driving then It would be more manageable to fly to get more training and spend time with my family.

Now the question . . . its been always my dream to fly a Long EZ and I even never seen one in person, at the same time I like very much the Grumman Tiger I used to train with. Can anyone give me an honest opinion of why should I get one or the other or even give suggestions about other aircraft?. My wive hates to fly but may be my daughter would like it in the future (3 mo old now) so mainly I would be flying myself or ocacionally with another friend or parent. Also I'm not sure right know but I would like to fly for a living someday but my current job is providing for a decent living for my family and the possibility to buy my own aircraft within the next year.

ALL COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK YOU

I see no one wants to jump in here and help you or offer any advice.

Just me but I believe one should crawl before one runs. I do not believe you would go out and first learn to drive a semi before you would first learn to drive a car. Since your daughter is young why not spend this time learning how to fly or making yourself ready for the day you want to fly with her.
    Your Mission. Define your mission right now. Do not say things like, " well in 10 years I would like to do such and such", what do you want to do today. Also look at the hourly cost it takes to operate or own whatever it is you are looking at.
    Jumping right into a Long-ez is biting off more then a new pilot could handle. Things happen fast as speed goes up. I myself would get some hrs like in the 100's before looking at jumping into something like this.
    If you don't you could become a statistic and leave your daughter without a father. Take it slow have a lot of fun and above all meet new people. If you believe the first plane you buy will be your first and last, you are wrong. Your mission will change as you become a better pilot.

Hope this helps...
    Tony

Arizona, Alaska, and various other places around the globe
    Is there an airport near you? If you're looking to own a certified plane, I recommend you work backwards, so to speak - i.e. look at fixed pitch/fixed gear and insurance & maintenance & upkeep costs, procurement cost, resale viability, accident statistics of various airplanes, and whether or not you'll be able to hangar your plane. With a wife and kid, you'll want something with a good track record that's easy to fly that you can use to build time, yet will carry the family and have a decent range and cruise speed, etc. Probably the most bang for the buck certified for this are the Cessna 172 and Piper PA-22. I'm sure others will pitch in here with their opinions too.
    Best wishes!
    Tom
    "You have to be alive to spend it..."

Sal, like the two previous posts, I think you would be wiser to stick with a certified plane like a Cessna 172 or Piper Cherokee since you don't have your license yet. Either plane would be great to finish your license in and would have room for passengers and baggage too. I owned a Cessna 150 for my first plane. I got my PPL in it and sold it a couple years later when my family outgrew it. I never liked having to crawl up a ladder to fuel the Cessna so I went low wing after that. I highly recommend the Cherokee because they are very easy to fly, inexpensive to own, operate and maintain, plus there are a lot of them on the market to choose from. They can be found for very reasonable prices on Barnstormers and Trade-a-plane.

I appreciate everybody's comments if been thinking about this for a long time and yes tanks for confirming that a certified would be the best option right know. Im pretty sure there is information around here about all the questions that come when purchasing a plane. Yes we do have an airport down here with mainly cargo operations also there are a couple small-town airports within 50 miles.

What I noticed is that nobody commented about the grumman tiger I guess the cherokee or 172 have significantly better track record.

Sal, I'm with everyone else on this. Stick with the certified bird or an experimental that's a side by side. If your wife doesn't like to fly she never touch a Vari/LongEze or any tandem. My wife "will" fly, but doesn't really "like" it. I had a VariEze once, I had her get in and didn't even get the canopy closed when she said "nope, let me out NOW". However, she does fly with me in my Pober Junior Ace. She's not thrilled with the open cockpit, but she's getting used to it. Being side by side made the difference. She has no problem with my other planes; T-carts, 172's, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Ruiz View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I need some advice but let me first give a little introduction about myself. I'm a 28 years old recent daddy wanting to fly since a child. Well money was not enough to do both college and fligh school so I decided to finish school and get a bachelor in finance. After 3 years due to marriage, a home , a baby, and a demanding job I have not been able to finish my ppl (got only 40 hrs). Another contributing factor being that there is not a flight school in my city, I used to have to commute to San Antonio and Mcallen Tx when in college for flight lessons. It is more challenging now because working in the energy sector (100+ hrs per week) leaves me with limited time with family if on top of that I have to drive 5 hrs. But if could fly instead of driving then It would be more manageable to fly to get more training and spend time with my family.

Now the question . . . its been always my dream to fly a Long EZ and I even never seen one in person, at the same time I like very much the Grumman Tiger I used to train with. Can anyone give me an honest opinion of why should I get one or the other or even give suggestions about other aircraft?. My wive hates to fly but may be my daughter would like it in the future (3 mo old now) so mainly I would be flying myself or ocacionally with another friend or parent. Also I'm not sure right know but I would like to fly for a living someday but my current job is providing for a decent living for my family and the possibility to buy my own aircraft within the next year.

ALL COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK YOU
    Sal,

I completely understand your desire to aviate, it is what keeps all of us in the flying community.

However, sometimes life's schedule makes realizing the dream difficult. There were several points in your post that really raised some red flags:

*working in the energy sector (100+ hrs per week)----wow....you barely have time to sleep, much less take on a hobby that eats up huge chunks of time.

*leaves me with limited time with family--Uh oh, this is a major problem. Those of us who have been in aviation for a few decades can relate numerous instances of a pilot who endured a divorce because the spouse did not share the aviation passion or appreciate the hours away from home.

*My wive hates to fly--oh my...this is getting worse....see above.

*so mainly I would be flying myself--still getting worse....see last two points above.

*28 years old recent daddy--well....what can I say......

There is one variable that MUST be present when diving off into the aviation world----family support. To undertake such a time-consuming and very expensive hobby without spousal support is an invitation to disaster.

Now. having said all that, all is not lost. You need to begin exposing your wife to the fun aspects of aviation.....in small steps. Become a part of the local airport or EAA community. Get her acquainted with other aviation spouses who can lead her toward aviation. Allow her to become acclimated to aviation at her pace. This cannot be rushed!! This may take a few years, but possibly she will soften her opposition to the point where you can restart training. But diving off into aircraft ownership at this point is not in your future...if you want to keep your family.

One last point. If you intend to commute via aircraft, you will need an IFR capable aircraft and be a proficient instrument pilot. You may be looking at way over $100K by the time you are trained and have a suitable aircraft.

Go into this with both eyes wide open...and best wishes!
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

My wife said " I will support you all you want in your aviation dream, just don't EVER ask me to get involved". I guess one reason I will always fly a single seat. Aviation is a one person hobby for me.

But the amazing thing, in my area I know of a few other men whom are just like me. Just one difference. I log onto sites like this and look for others. These men troll sites like this but will NEVER post.

Sometimes I don't blame them.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Ruiz View Post
    What I noticed is that nobody commented about the grumman tiger I guess the cherokee or 172 have significantly better track record.
    Significantly better track record? 172 vs cherokee vs AA5 series? Leave that to statisticians. My first plane was AA5 traveler. Great family plane for parents+preteen kids. No shock struts, commonality of "wear" parts with Cessna, easy to maintain but the canopy leaked rain when parked outside. Oh well. Flew tigers as relief pilot for 135 operator, thought i'd died and gone to heaven. Baggage door, full fuel+2 guys+2 women+baggage and still under gross, cruise fast as a 200hp arrow or sierra for less gas. No wing in the way for turns vs 172, better vis over the nose than cherokee. But the cheetah, great compromise for a family plane. Bit cheaper to feed 160 vs 180 hp, decent cruise, same cabin. bigger tanks than early travelers, so ok IFR range. Decent airplanes.

Your mileage may vary.

I"ve owned a Cessna 150, Cherokee 140, Champ, Aeronca L16 and am presently rebuilding and recovering a Aeronca Super Chief. Hands down my favorite plane was the Cherokee 140 which I owned for 25 years. Other than radios and transponder repair (insert nasty word here) it took very little maintenance and you could haul Mom, Dad and a couple little people without much trouble. If I wanted more carrying capacity I'd step up to a Cherokee 180. Fixed gear, fixed prop, not much to go wrong other than routine maintenance. I'd stay away from exotic planes like the Long EZ or anything that travels fast enough to get you into big trouble in a hurry......at least until you have at least 500 hours. No mattery what you consider get a good competent aviation mechanic to look it over......very carefully.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!