Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Experimental or Certified?

Hi Sal:
    You do not have your ppl yet, so I think it is a mistake to consider either the Long EZ or the Grumman. Get some time in one of the easiest planes to learn in, and that would be a Piper Cherokee, a Piper J-3. or an Aeronca Champ. If you want to buy one of these, you will find many at great prices on Barnstormers. Of course, you will want an A&P to check out your purchase. As the old saying goes,"Keep it simple!!" John

You can learn to fly in just about anything. I have an uncle who did his primary training and received his PPL in a Cessna 182RG. So in theory you could learn to fly in the Long-Eze but I agree with the others that a more docile trainer is a better idea. As regards certificated vs Experimental. I agree with the others here too. A certificated aircraft is more of a known quantity, most experimentals undergo continuing development and troubleshooting for the first 150 to 200 hours. Wit your schedule you're better off with something that will be plug and play. Based on your comments I'd look at a post 1969 Cherokee 140. A good one can be had pretty reasonably they are good reliable aircraft that are reasonably cheap to insure and operate. If your budget allows I would consider the Grumman as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cynamonb View Post
    You can learn to fly in just about anything... If your budget allows I would consider the Grumman as well.
    When I was in the Navy we taught thousands of people to fly in T28s. Boys and girls. From scratch. They and the Wind Farce do it now in turboprops because engine management is easier and kids are dumber. But in an AA5? I NEVER had a student who couldn't fly an AA5. Fixed pitch, fixed gear, flaps don' make no nevvamine to the approach, what's NOT to like about an AA5?
    Last edited by Mike M; 12-06-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    When I was in the Navy we taught thousands of people to fly in T28s. Boys and girls. From scratch. They and the Wind Farce do it now in turboprops because engine management is easier and kids are dumber. But in an AA5? I NEVER had a student who couldn't fly an AA5. Fixed pitch, fixed gear, flaps don' make no nevvamine to the approach, what's NOT to like about an AA5?
    That's great if that is what you are going to fly. Training in a T-28 does nothing for the folks flying something weighing in at 300 or so lbs or a two seat ultralight style aircraft that has been registered.

Tony

I learned to fly in a Grumman AA5A. Great plane. Good for training, fun plane to fly, and good experience from which to get up to a quicker vehicle. Haven't flown a Tiger but the flying characteristics are supposed to be the same. Can't go wrong with the Grumman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Ruiz View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I need some advice but let me first give a little introduction about myself. I'm a 28 years old recent daddy wanting to fly since a child. Well money was not enough to do both college and fligh school so I decided to finish school and get a bachelor in finance. After 3 years due to marriage, a home , a baby, and a demanding job I have not been able to finish my ppl (got only 40 hrs). Another contributing factor being that there is not a flight school in my city, I used to have to commute to San Antonio and Mcallen Tx when in college for flight lessons. It is more challenging now because working in the energy sector (100+ hrs per week) leaves me with limited time with family if on top of that I have to drive 5 hrs. But if could fly instead of driving then It would be more manageable to fly to get more training and spend time with my family.

Now the question . . . its been always my dream to fly a Long EZ and I even never seen one in person, at the same time I like very much the Grumman Tiger I used to train with. Can anyone give me an honest opinion of why should I get one or the other or even give suggestions about other aircraft?. My wive hates to fly but may be my daughter would like it in the future (3 mo old now) so mainly I would be flying myself or ocacionally with another friend or parent. Also I'm not sure right know but I would like to fly for a living someday but my current job is providing for a decent living for my family and the possibility to buy my own aircraft within the next year.

ALL COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK YOU
    Don't put the cart before the horse. It hurts not to dream and have goals but in order for achievement, a plan has to be made. You mention you "only have 40 hours" towards your ppl. Not knowing where you stand in your training and what you need to finish for your final exam/check ride, I'd recommend devoting a solid week or two, such as an accelerated course, with a reputable flight school and "get 'er done."

Everyone is different as well as life's nuances. I started working on my ppl 12 years ago and I ended up putting the cart before the horse; by buying two LSA planes and playing in that arena while sidelining my desire to complete my ppl. A couple months ago, I figured it was time to get off the pot and finish it. I enrolled in an accelerated training course with a reputable flight school and on the 10th day, I completed my exam and check ride with the Examiner with a total of 42.5 hours. It was one of the most stressful things I've done in years. But by keeping the momentum of my training moving forward, I was able to attain so much in so little time.

Good luck to you, commit, and you'll be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    That's great if that is what you are going to fly. Training in a T-28 does nothing for the folks flying something weighing in at 300 or so lbs or a two seat ultralight style aircraft that has been registered.

Tony
    So true, Tony. But the OP was looking for advice about getting a private so he can fly with his family and said he likes the Grumman, by which most folks in this arena thought he meant AA5 not G5. Somebody said AA5 was unrealistic for a first plane, some of us with experience in type disagreed, and are encouraging him to follow his dream. You can do it, Sal!

Sal,

My suggestion would be to just rent an airplane when you want to fly and forget about owning till later. If you own, you are responsible for insurance, hangar, annual inspections - including Airworthiness Directives, and unforeseen repairs. Many of those expenses continue, even if you don't fly that month. By renting, you only pay for what you fly. And you can upgrade to larger faster aircraft that you might not otherwise be able to afford.

I own a Grumman Cheetah in Canada. I have owned a dozen different types and am firmly attached to the Grumman. It is the simplest most economical fastest airplane in this category.
    Move to Canada, we have something called Owner Maintenance, turns an airplane like my Cheetah into a homebuilt. The advantage being you can ignore most of the rules your mechanic has to live by and just fix it by common sense. It is still an airplane and must be maintained, you just don't have the govt looking over your shoulder.
    This is being proposed by,,,someone, everyone, right now, write your congressman and make this happen. You want to make flying affordable??

Sal, My recommendation would be to rent until you get your certificate. Net look at the CURRENT mission you only need one seat so look at certified 2 seaters like the C-150,inexpensive to purchase and maintain. If you have a non-towered or "quiet" towered field nearby look at an experimental single seat. Something like a Fly Baby, Corbine/Pober Ace, or mini-max. If going the later route ,light single seat, get as much time in the lightest most similar aircraft as possible. Flying is flying so a true part 103 ultalight might work if you just want to fly, you can rent for license currency and when you want to take some one along with you. As far as training in the Tiger, great airplane but a bit fast and slippery so it will be a lot different than flying something lighter especially something like a small single seat.