Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Learning to transition into ultralights

Quote Originally Posted by jrees View Post
    Please tell me more about the Legal Eagle!
    My Legal Eagle XL build/fly site:

http://eaglexl-58.com

The webinar I presented for the EAA on the Legal Eagle XL:

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=2634527737001

My XL Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EagleXL58?feature=mhee

That should get your research off to a good start.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Sam I will have to check out this webinar. I like your XL.

Sam do you know anyone whom would make the fuselage for those whom do not or can not do this work? I would like to have another one of these. Chris BoBo built mine. I lost all his contact info or I would call him and ask him to build me another. He made the wings fold back for transport and put the fuel tank in the center. He is or was an aeronautical engineer for Boeing.

I loved that little airplane and regret selling it.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Sam I will have to check out this webinar. I like your XL.

Sam do you know anyone whom would make the fuselage for those whom do not or can not do this work? I would like to have another one of these. Chris BoBo built mine. I lost all his contact info or I would call him and ask him to build me another. He made the wings fold back for transport and put the fuel tank in the center. He is or was an aeronautical engineer for Boeing.

I loved that little airplane and regret selling it.

Tony
    John Bolding sells material kits and welded fuselages. His contact info is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.betterhalfvw.com
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Thanks again guys, i'll be checking out the new info.

In your opening statement you say you're interested in less red tape, therefore UL's. A Challenger single weighs close to 400 lbs, so needs an N number & you need a Sport License. Aerolite 103 is a legal UL. To keep it legal you wouldn't be able to put an HKS 4-stroke on it I believe-- too heavy.

2-strokes definately have issues. One of them is they are LOUD. I'm pretty good at wrenching so I felt OK with flying a Rotax 503 on a Challenger single. And over the course of 250 hrs of flying the engine was mostly fine. The NOT fine? 2-strokes depend on crankcase pressurization from the piston downstroke to move fuel/air mix that is POST CARB (inside the block) to the combustion chamber. Not just the sucking of piston like a 4stroke. All it takes is a piston with a slightly deformed ring gap to bind the ring enough to make a poor seal against the cylinder wall. That sucker shut off over a pasture. Engine had never been run hot, engine tested & ran fine the next day and for 2 weeks of testing, then happened again. Rotax shop found the problem & engine had no issues for the next 150 hours, when I sold it.

As a previous reply said, these lightweight machines get thrown around by gusts & thermals pretty easily, and glide ratio is about 5:1. So you have to judiciously choose your flying conditions & flight path.
    Last edited by flyrgreen; 12-17-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Flygreen, have you had any experience with Hirth engines? The Belite comes with a F-33, but just wondering if it's any better than a Rotax, or about the same. Also, as i posted, an Aerolite rep. i talked to said they are going to start test flying a 4 stroke on their UL this spring, a Vanguard i believe. Might be worth the wait, huh? There are a few UL's out there that i like the design, but i'm not a builder, really want a trike 4 stroke legal ul. Wish there were more choices.

jrees~~ My only experience is with Rotax air-cooled and VW conversion engines. I know the HKS 4-stroke engines enjoy a solid reputation, but the weight will put the airplane over the UL limit or 254 lbs. There is a company who makes 2-cylinder VW-type engines (1/2 VW), so they are 4-stroke. Don't know the power rating but possibly enough for a very light 3-axis airframe, but not enough for a trike. Trikes have more drag and need more power.
    Good to know some company is still pursuing a light 4-stroke--- would be great for the UL community. Yes, might be worth the wait.

Flygreen, yes, might be worth the wait. I would not be so concerned about an engine if it were not for the hilly area that surrounds the airport that i will be flying from. No flat lands in this area, just hills which Ky. is known for. Not many (if any) good options should it stop spinning. So far, the BYF sounds like my best choice, just wish the waiting list wasn't so long.. over a year!