Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learning to transition into ultralights

Just another research update.. I spoke ( email ) with Dennis of Aerolite 103, he said that they are going to start flight testing a 4 stroke on the Aerolite 103 in the spring. I belive he said it's going to be a "Vangard" engine? Not sure if i'm spelling it right. Is anyone familiar with these engines? I also looked at the Belite, and the true legal UL only has a Hirth F33 available. Belite also has folding wings, according to their site, but not sure how hard it would be to fold and unfold. It looks like the BYF just takes a couple minutes to rotate the wing. I emailed BYF a couple of times, trying to get information, but can NOT get anyone to respond. I'm still checking a few out, but so far, the BYF is my favorite UL.. and of course, it has to be the most expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by jrees View Post
    The Aerolite 103 is $16,000 complete, ready to fly, and the BYF $20,000.
    It's because the BYF always comes with a chute. If so equipped, Aerolite is also a $20k ariplane. Surprisingly you can stuff a Belite into $21k by selecting a taildragger with F33 and no instruments or any options such as disc brakes.

Just another research update.. I spoke ( email ) with Dennis of Aerolite 103, he said that they are going to start flight testing a 4 stroke on the Aerolite 103 in the spring. I belive he said it's going to be a "Vangard" engine? Not sure if i'm spelling it right. Is anyone familiar with these engines?
    "Vanguard" is a line of commercial power engines from Briggs & Stratton. Yes, the lawnmower engine people.

I am a Factory trained Briggs & Stratton Technician. Its been 21 years since I went through this training. I was really impressed with this company. When I signed up for this I thought, right what can I learn here. I was totally wrong in my way of thinking.
    Honda engines from Japan retooled back in the early 90's. They did this because their patents where all going to the open market. So they retooled and redid the Honda engine. In doing this they had warehouses full of new block cores and other parts. Guess whom purchased all this NOS " New Old Stock" you got it, briggs & stratton. This is why if you looked on a briggs engine you saw...Made in Japan. For these engines are Honda engines just assembled by Briggs.
    Now I have not been in this for years so I am not sure if they depleted this stock but I would say they still are selling these engines. They had hundred of thousands of these engines. The Vangaurd is an industrial engine with iron cylinders. Some of the cheaper briggs engine have aluminum cylinders.

Tony

Thanks for the info guys! I've been using Briggs & Statton lawnmower engines to cut grass for almost 50 years now, never had a single problem with one of those engines. Looks to me it would be a great, dependable engine for a UL. So far, the BYF seems to be the package i'm looking for, folding wings, 4 stroke with built in carb heat, chute,
    25mph take off & land, and they look like they're built really rugged from what i see in various videos. I also like Aerolite, especially if they start putting the 4 stroke in it, but it doesn't have folding wings which may end up being necessary in my case. I also like the Belite, but the legal 103 only comes with 2 stroke (Hirth F33), plus their digital guages look kind of confusing to me, at least what i could tell from one of their videos. Still can't understand why BYF will not return my emails.

For cost and ease of flying I would go...Legal Eagle. 4 stroke vw and the vw is a proven design. If you go Hummel you can insure the engine if you can find a company to do it. All Hummel engines are insurable. I sent Scott my 1/2 vw and he is upgrading the crank, rods, pistons and jugs to the 44 hp all assembled for 1100 bucks. You can not beat that.

Legal Eagle with a vw would be my first choice. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket get a Belite.

Tony

I also like the Belite, but the legal 103 only comes with 2 stroke (Hirth F33) ...
    Is this what Jim himself told you? It clearly contradicts to what I read on his blog, where he writes that his Hummel 1/2 WV bird is 103 legal (admittedly with the chute).

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Is this what Jim himself told you? It clearly contradicts to what I read on his blog, where he writes that his Hummel 1/2 WV bird is 103 legal (admittedly with the chute).
    Be careful with the chute allowance, many have mis-used this allowance.

Part 103 allows a chute to be added to a Part 103 compliant aircraft. The chute can weigh up to 24 lbs, but the plane without chute must still be less than 254 lbs. Many (even manufacturers) have tacked on 24 lbs to the 254 as a "freebie" if some sort of chute is included. But the only change that can be made to aircraft weight is 254 plus the actual weight of the chute.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

No, i absolutely do not have money burning a hole in my pocket, but wish i did! Does the Legal eagle come RTF? Is that an option? What is the price if so? Can you get it in tricycle form? Do the wings fold? What are the lift off, cruise, and landing speed? I am interested in learning more about the Legal Eagle Tony, help me out here! I could have mistaken the 4 stroke Belite not being a legal UL, but i do recall that it jumped the price from around 18 grand with the Hirth F33, to around 32 grand with 4 stroke. 20 is my max, and i would really even hate to pay that for any UL. Please tell me more about the Legal Eagle!

They fly like an ultralight as far as speeds go. The wings do not fold, although the Legal Eagle I owned the Builder designed folding wings into it. I purchased mine RTF for 4500 bucks. You can find them for around this price maybe a little more, you just have to watch for them.

Call Leonard and speak with him. He will answer the phone, how many other companies can you talk with the owner just by calling. He might know someone whom will build you one for a decent price.

http://www.betterhalfvw.com/

Tony