Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learning to transition into ultralights

That turn to base to final is like a ballet dance and done all in one move. I slip it kinda into the final position as I am descending from this 700 - 800'. You are so close to final anyway because you are holding it in so tight.
    I read this in a book, the author said this is a lot more fun then the long straight final. I have to agree and if I have have an engine out I am on the runway, I keep the runway within glide distance anytime I am around it.

I call it flying Smart. Others say fly safe. I say fly smart, safety follows. But this is just me.

Tony

Tony, thanks again for the info. I am hoping a 4 stroke will soon be available for UL flight, staying within 103 regs. I have read some good reviews on the Hirth F-33 (28hp) 2 stroke, but then i've read some bad reviews as well. At present, there are three engine options if you purchase a new Aerolite 103, however all are 2 stroke, with the Hirth having the highest TBO time. If you, or anyone else has experience or knowledge of the Hirth F33, i would like to hear about it, good or bad. I live in a rural area (northern Ky. area), a ten minute drive from my house to the airport (K-62 / Falmouth/Gene Snyder Airport), so it will be quite handy when i do buy a little bird. At present, i'm just trying to learn as much as i can about them, and i do appreciate the replies on this site. It sounds like you (Tony) and i think a lot alike, putting safety number one. I've seen too many pilots jump in their planes and take off without even doing a pre-flight or checking their fuel first. I just can't believe it when i see it happen, but it does happen.

You need a Legal Eagle. They use a 1/2 vw. The airplane comes in under 254 lbs and they fly great.

The Legal Eagle looks pretty neat but i am used to tri gear, i have no time in a tail dragger.

Quote Originally Posted by jrees View Post
    Tony, thanks again for the info. I am hoping a 4 stroke will soon be available for UL flight, staying within 103 regs.
    If you are looking at factory-built 4-stroke 103 compliant airplane, you have 2 choices today: BYF and Belite.

BYF uses a smaller engine (they claim up to 40 hp, but you probably want to have a detuned version for longevity), is about the cheapest 103 you can buy new (about $20k). BYF meets the 103 weight by using un-aircraft-like construction techniques, and that made it rather controversial among the hardcore. Personally, I would fly it in a heartbeat.
    http://culverprops.com/BackYardFlyerUL.html

Belite only just now started shipping 1/2 WV craft. Since their engine is much heavier than BYF's, they had to use carbon fiber extensively, and they barely stay legal. You have to pay something like $40 or $50k for a toy like that, so it's really only for rich and very sick retirees who cannot even self-sertify for LSA, but do not want to settle for a glider. Excellent plane if you forget the price though.
    http://www.beliteaircraft.com/ultral...s/UltraCub.php

There used to be a Gull with HKS 700E from the factory, but those folks are always on and off experimenting (their current hobby is electric power). A Gull was also expensive like 4-stroke Belite.

Since even BYF was too expensive for me, I found an ultralight-like N-numbered experimental with HKS 700E. So far it was a pleasurable experience, although I pranged it on the 2nd flight. It was purely because of inept piloting on my part and I do not think any less of ultralights and very light LSAs because of that. HKS unit has good reputation, but unfortunately it's more expensive than 1/2 WV. My overhaul reserve is about $18/hr (my 700E is actually TBO-extended to 800 hours by s#, which would make $11/hr, but I am not sure it's going to last), while 1/2 WV Hummel would set you back to $9/hr, even if you buy new. This is comparable to an overhaul reserve on O-200, I think.

I really think that an N-numbered Kolb Firefly with a 4-stroke power would be ideal. I saw ads for such with 1/2 WV, Valley's Twin (the BYF engine), and of course with HKS 700E. Do not shy from experimentals. You're a member of EAA, aren't you?

P.S. From what I know about Legal Eagle, it's fully awesome too, but I'm less familiar with it, sadly. Also, they are very rare (much fewer were completed than Fireflies), and the asking prices are often rather wild. You need to know the type well before buying.
    Last edited by zaitcev; 12-06-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    <snip>
    Belite only just now started shipping 1/2 WV craft. Since their engine is much heavier than BYF's, they had to use carbon fiber extensively, and they barely stay legal.
    <snip>
    From what I know about Legal Eagle, it's fully awesome too, but I'm less familiar with it, sadly. Also, they are very rare (much fewer were completed than Fireflies), and the asking prices are often rather wild. You need to know the type well before buying.
    Some clarification/corrections:

The Big Valley (BYF), Generac-based engine package is considerably heavier than the 1/2 VW, 120lbs vs 87lbs. The Big Valley requires a gearbox and electric start which is not needed on the 1/2 VW.

The Legal Eagle has been built in considerable numbers (estimated 100+ flying) but is not available ready-to-fly unless you purchase from a builder. The few I have seen for sale usually are priced way below cost of materials, but some have damage history.

For the builder, the Legal Eagle is an excellent choice and results in a UL that flies, and sounds, like an airplane for less than $10K.

My Legal Eagle web site
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 12-05-2013 at 08:35 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Mine was brand new had 1 hr on it. 4500 bucks.

2 cycle vs 4 cycle

Quote Originally Posted by jrees View Post
    Tony, thanks again for the info. I am hoping a 4 stroke will soon be available for UL flight, staying within 103 regs. I have read some good reviews on the Hirth F-33 (28hp) 2 stroke, but then i've read some bad reviews as well. At present, there are three engine options if you purchase a new Aerolite 103, however all are 2 stroke, with the Hirth having the highest TBO time. If you, or anyone else has experience or knowledge of the Hirth F33, i would like to hear about it, good or bad. I live in a rural area (northern Ky. area), a ten minute drive from my house to the airport (K-62 / Falmouth/Gene Snyder Airport), so it will be quite handy when i do buy a little bird. At present, i'm just trying to learn as much as i can about them, and i do appreciate the replies on this site. It sounds like you (Tony) and i think a lot alike, putting safety number one. I've seen too many pilots jump in their planes and take off without even doing a pre-flight or checking their fuel first. I just can't believe it when i see it happen, but it does happen.
    My two cents.... I currently have 160 hours on a Rotax 377 on it's third overhaul (essentially the 447 with smaller displacement). The prior owner had problems with landing at idle (which results in the engine really cooling down too much during the landing) and then going immediately to full power and taking back off again. Essentially he caused the engine to seize because the pistons were still hot and the cylinders had cooled to the point where a piston scuffed. After a full overhaul I have been very happy. A well maintained Rotax is a great motor... but you do have to think before you act. IF I were building or buying a new plane I probably would look at a 1/2VW as they are a bit more forgiving. If I were looking at something used I wouldn't write off anything with a Rotax. As I said just my two cents.

A guy at my airport finished a (il)Legal Eagle recently and it's very impressive. If I were in the mood to build an ultralight, I'd go with the Legal Eagle. The airplane, with the 1/2 VW, is outstanding in all aspects as far as I can see. I might even consider hunting one down to play with after I sell my KitFox!

I did check out the Backyard Flyer, and like the product, but the price is a little high. But.. considering the wings can move around "straight" for storage inside of an enclosed trailer, that would save hanger fees. The Aerolite 103 is $16,000 complete, ready to fly, and the BYF $20,000. I wish the BYF was the same price as the Aerolite. PLUS, the BYF has the 40hp 4 stroke, which i really prefer. I haven't checked out the Belite yet, that's next. Quite a bit to think about, but the BYF sure has my attention. Thanks once again for the info, i really appreciate the help you guys offer here.