Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hazardous Attitudes

Hazardous Attitudes

After some things I have read here recently I believe a review of this AOPA Flight Training article may be in order.

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magaz...Attitudes.html

It is a good article and the subject of numerous safety seminars. That said, I think that this, like all things, can be taken to extremes. I think that a truly good pilot has ALL of these hazardous attitudes. I think that a certain degree of each of them is even necessary to be a good pilot. A quick look at the posts in this forum indicate a healthy anti-authority attitude among almost -- if not all -- of the pilots here. Even resignation, which with a positive spin could be called "humility"…knowing when you can't do something and need some help. In looking at all of these hazardous attitudes, we must remember, "moderation in all things."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    After some things I have read here recently I believe a review of this AOPA Flight Training article may be in order.

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magaz...Attitudes.html

Yep.

Am I the only one that thinks that the author writing that we shouldn't simply give up on things and should change our tendency for resignation by starting out his article stating that he sold his motorcycle because he scraped the pegs in a traffic circle just a little bit hilarious?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

That material has been around for a while. Obviously written by someone flying a large steel desk (LSD).

For better or worse, aviators are not your average individual. Slavish adherence to all of the rules can get you killed. Doing stupid stuff that the rules attempt to prohibit can get you killed. Most of us live in that middle ground where we learn to do what makes sense for the flight operation in progress.

The breadth of aviation covers individuals who launch hang gliders off mountains through individuals who launch into orbit. If the people who populate aviation conformed to the sort of dimensions described in the article, guys like Yeager, the Rutans, or even Paul P, could not exist.

I like the line from the movie "Bull Durham". "We play this game with arrogance and fear..."

Food for thought,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    That material has been around for a while. Obviously written by someone flying a large steel desk (LSD).

For better or worse, aviators are not your average individual. Slavish adherence to all of the rules can get you killed. Doing stupid stuff that the rules attempt to prohibit can get you killed. Most of us live in that middle ground where we learn to do what makes sense for the flight operation in progress.

The breadth of aviation covers individuals who launch hang gliders off mountains through individuals who launch into orbit. If the people who populate aviation conformed to the sort of dimensions described in the article, guys like Yeager, the Rutans, or even Paul P, could not exist.

I like the line from the movie "Bull Durham". "We play this game with arrogance and fear..."

Food for thought,

Wes
    N78PS
    One of if not the best post i have seen in a long time....My Hat goes off to you..

The first name that came to my mind was....Bob Hoover. I love aviation.....

You know we get caught up in the Class of airplanes and kinda forget...We all love our airplanes so much we will fight for them...

My hat goes off to everyone whom flies and calls this there hobby sport what have you. I am really Blessed to be able to mingle with folks whom fly. I dreamed of this my whole life and wasted 3/4 of it land locked.
    Next time you have a drink of your favorite Beverage make a toast for me in the name of aviation, also lets not forget folks like the names we just posted for it really is because of them we are here arguing over..Aviation in its simplest forum....

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 12-01-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post

Wes
    N78PS
    Well, that was kind of what I meant in my post. I had to teach that hazardous attitude material (which unsurprisingly came from Oklahoma City) in Civil Air Patrol Flight Instructor Clinics. I always had to change the material to accommodate reality. Any notion that one should blindly follow the rules (or obey directives from ATC) because they are usually right should not be let near an airplane. Anyone you does not have the attitude of "I can do it" (which the FAA defined as Macho) will never solo and for sure I do not want him or her as PIC in an emergency. Impulsivity? There is a place for that, too, when you respond to something in your gut that just doesn't feel right. (I am not talking about spatial disorientation.) I provided the Aristotelean adage of "moderation in all things." Wes' statement of "that middle ground" is like another adage, "There is a mean in all things; and, moreover, certain limits on either side of which right cannot be found." (Horace). The challenge is determining where those "limits" lie.

Sorry for being long. It is a Sunday morning, and I am waiting for the sun to warm things up enough so I can touch the metal of my airplane.

Chris Mayer
    N424AF

I used to in past life teach people to ride motorcycles and the advice I used to give them I will put here.When you get up in the morning to ride ,and in this case fly,something or someone will try and kill you today.It is your roll,if you choose to accept it,to see it coming and negate the situation.It is all about practice,remembering that practice makes permanent.So evaluate what you do and make good decisions. Cheers Ross

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by eiclan View Post
    I used to in past life teach people to ride motorcycles and the advice I used to give them I will put here.When you get up in the morning to ride ,and in this case fly,something or someone will try and kill you today.It is your roll,if you choose to accept it,to see it coming and negate the situation.It is all about practice,remembering that practice makes permanent.So evaluate what you do and make good decisions. Cheers Ross
    I, too, taught motorcycle safety for the Motor Safety Foundation for about twenty years and what you posted is something I also said, more or less.

WILU's comment RE: LSD "flyers" made me smile and nod in agreement. Well said.