Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Helicopters Needed

Large Helicopters Needed

Hello EAA forum users. This is my first post. I have an interesting hurdle that hopefully the knowledgeable people of this forum can help me overcome.

I work for a company that is planning a series of special events in a few years. Unfortunately, at this time I cannot release many specific details of this event publicly.

Here is where I need help: These special events will require us to hire a helicopter or multiple helicopters for emergency transportation to a hospital. Ideally, no one is injured and the helicopter(s) would remain on standby nearby. In the worst case scenario, there will be a maximum of 4 patients on stretchers. 5 medical support personnel must accompany the 4 patients in the helicopter(s) to a hospital. The helicopter must be capable of greater than 130mph cruising speed to get to the hospital within the "golden hour". This requirement might loosen up in the future.

I understand that medical transport and emergency rescue helicopter services are common place. Unfortunately, these aren't useful in this situation due to a number of constraints. Firstly, these helicopters can only carry one patient, so we would need 4 of them. Also, we would need a doctor on every aircraft in addition to the paramedic, so it seems that the most commonly used medical transport helicopters are too small.

Some additional information: If necessary, we can hire paramedics and doctors from local hospitals to staff the helicopters, but ideally, we would utilize medics familiar with helicopter rescue operations. This means that there is an added benefit if we can hire a helicopter fully crewed with trained paramedics. In any case, some training will be provided by the company for the specific scenario.

I need your help. How can I solve this challenge? I'm open to any suggestions at all. Is there any commercial company that can handle medical transport of up to 4 patients and 5 medical assistants? It seems like this would be easily within the capability of the military, but we are a private company, so I'm not sure that is feasible. I'll be happy to answer questions with as much detail as possible.

Sincerely,
    RedEagle

Talk to your state National Guard folks. An UH-60 Medevac could do it, the issue will be the legal portion. I don't know if the Guard could do this as a training exercise or not, but given enough time (and a good sales pitch) it might work.

Thanks OldGunbunny. I sent a few emails to some generic state National Guard addresses. I'll will try to give them a call next week if I don't get any response. A friend in the Navy made a similar suggestion about training exercises. It would be great to find a contact in the National Guard who I could discuss specific details with and get some direction from.

I agree that a UH60/SK60/AW139/BH412 is what you require. For many regulatory reasons if this is in the U.S. you will likely need to use an existing air ambulance company or hospital based program. You probably can't freelance this. Lastly, you may not need to use a physician, e.g. flight paramedics and/or flight nurses, depending on the program, would get the job done.

I agree with Check 6 and I also suggest that the best bet would be to hire an EMS outfit to do the job. (AngleFlight, ERA, etc) For you to hunt up aircraft, crews & maint support and train up some EMTs or RNs in air ops some how reminds me of those travel clubs decades ago. FAA regulated those out of existance due to high accident rates.

Five medics for four patients in one bird is not common. I used to transport premature infants (one at a time) with two to some time three RN's/Therapists (plus the regular 4 man crew) in UH-1 helos. Also able to transport 1 or 2 family. Our cabin was equiped with electrical outlets and hardware to secure litters,oxygen and equipment. The current airframe with the same floor plan as a UH-1 is the 125 KT Bell 412. You saw one if you watched the recent gunplay at the DC Navy yard on TV. If its not been converted for EMS ops, it would need to be. For an Augusta 139 think $10 to $12 mil and type rated crews. Best bet is talk to the pros. Contact HAI for lists of operators.

Thanks for the responses guys. One reply email to a state National Guard stated that they were unable to support us. I was able to get in contact with Era Helicopters, who seems capable of the job. I would be beneficial to find another company or two who is also able to support this type of event. I just learned that the event will be held in 3 locations at nearly the same time. Any other clues on who can help us out here? I have a solid lead on a company that can provide medics perfectly suited to my needs, but no helicopters. Like Check 6 said, the helicopter company has to have helicopters with FAA approved medical litters.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEagle View Post
    Any other clues on who can help us out here? I have a solid lead on a company that can provide medics perfectly suited to my needs, but no helicopters. Like Check 6 said, the helicopter company has to have helicopters with FAA approved medical litters.
    Glad to help, but I don't know where "out here" is.

Also, medics/Nurses have to be affiliated with, and supervised by, a hospital to carry and administer drugs, and to use perform some advanced procedures, e.g. they can't freelance. You can hire medics/nurses to fly but without the hospital affiliation there are limitations on what they can do.

In this case, "out here" will be at least 3 location spread across the US. Wish I could say more.

That is good info about the medics. Era provides certified medics. Other companies would require that we source medics from the nearest hospital. This is something that I will have to look into more.

After more research, it seems that Era offers a very unique service. I'm surprised that I can't find any other company that is equally capable.

Give PHI a call (Petroleum Helicopters). They are Headquartered in Louisiana and have a large medical branch.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEagle View Post
    In this case, "out here" will be at least 3 location spread across the US. Wish I could say more.

That is good info about the medics. Era provides certified medics. Other companies would require that we source medics from the nearest hospital. This is something that I will have to look into more.

After more research, it seems that Era offers a very unique service. I'm surprised that I can't find any other company that is equally capable.

RedEagle, perhaps the best way may be to visit a hospital administrator that has a hospital based helicopter or two. It may be a way out of the unknown. Better than putting a "package" together on your own. The aircraft are specialy equiped for the mission. Avionics and equipment in the cabin. Built in O2, suction, heart monitors & de-fib.The flight crews are specialy trained. Do you need IFR capability? The RNs are also specialy trained. Don't think that hospital administrator will give up any personel for you. Can the local FBO maintain a strange multi million dollar ship with school trained A&Ps? A physician must be embedded in the "organization." The FAA has an advisory circular, I think its 135-4. Worth a read.

For what its worth, here are a few helicopter emergency medical operators:

Air Methods. Biggest with over 300 med aircraft.
    Petroleum Helicoptersin Lafayette, LA. 400 to 600 birds world wide with less than 90 dedicated med helos.
    Air Evac with about 100 med aircraft.
    Omniflight with about 90 in their Med fleet. Used to be in Lousianna.
    ERA out of Lake Charles with about 30 on med contracts.

Army, Navy and USAF crews did the Military Assistance to Safety and Traffic (MAST) back in the 70's. The civilians took the procedures and methods and formed the EMS companies of today. One big difference in opps. A military Aircraft Commander makes all aviation decisions plus all medical decisions. The civlian crews are different.The PIC makes the calls related to flying. The RNs in the cabin make the med decisions. In fact the PIC is not even told anything about the patient.

Good luck, Bob