Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Repairs on an Experimental/AB

I've been in the EXP/AB arena for about 8 years. I've built 2 and owned one
    I didn't build. I thought I understood the requirements. Has there been
    some changes I'm not aware of?
    In this month's Kitplanes there's an article by Amy Laboda about insurance
    and accidents/incidents. In this article she states, in the context of an
    aircraft that's going to need repairs .. "someone who has purchased an Experimental
    but does not have an A&P certificate, will have to go either to an A&P or the
    original builder in order to have it repaired".

Huh???? Unless there's a requirement in the Operating Limitations saying
    that all repairs must be done by an A&P or Repairman Cert holder, why
    would you need to have one repair it? Part 43 doesn't apply to Experimentals.

RT
    Last edited by RogerT; 11-26-2013 at 02:48 PM.

She's wrong. You're right.
    Certainly the FAA believes it is that way.
    Never heard of an insurer thinking otherwise. In fact, unless botched maintenance is the proximal cause of the crash, I've never even heard of an insurer asking who did the maintenance.

You know its one thing for us on forums like this to get something wrong, but when something like this gets published in print in a magazine the average person would take this as gospel or the truth. I would have thought this magazine would want to get this correct. I wonder if they will print a retraction and correct this.
    But the worse part is this person is out spreading this around. She/he needs some education on this and maybe aviation in a hole, if they want to play in the pool they need to learn the rules. Someone needs to wright this person a letter and educate them. This is like a cancer and will spread faster then the truth.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 11-27-2013 at 05:23 AM.

Example...IA is needed for a Condition Inspection on EAB....I have gone around and around and around with not only A&P's but others on this subject..

For those whom do not know..You DO NOT need an IA for a Condition Inspection on a EAB.

Spread the word....

Tony

I've had severe issues with the editorial on Sport Aviation and the related mags for a few years now. There are continually inaccurate (sometimes to the point of dangerous) and otherwise just plain stupid articles present. It's not quite as bad as IFR Refresher got a few years ago, but it appears we may have "professional editors" involved, but they lack any sense of content area specialty. If you are going to go that way, you have to do what the technical journals (and book publishers do) and employ some pre-publication reviewers to keep things sane.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    ... Someone needs to wright this person a letter and educate them....Tony
    perhaps editorial@kitplanes.com could forward your suggestion to ms. laboda.

Luke 6:42

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    perhaps editorial@kitplanes.com could forward your suggestion to ms. laboda.

Luke 6:42
    I did not read the article but commented on a posting. Someone whom read the article should respond to this, and don't post the article then expect me to respond. Seems you have the link and know what this is about, why tell me to do this?

Tony

I did not read the article but commented on a posting. Someone whom read the article should respond to this, and don't post the article then expect me to respond. Seems you have the link and know what this is about, why tell me to do this?

Tony
    old adage, want something done correctly do it yourself. i recommended you take action since you were the one who so elegantly and grammatically wrote that someone should do something about it. guess you weren't really concerned. my mistake.

Tony
    OP here.

I emailed the editorial@kitplanes.com address as soon as I read the article. That was about a week and a half ago .. haven't heard anything back yet.
    Funny thing is .. in the Ask The DAR article a few pages later .. the same thing is addressed correctly.

RT

when something like this gets published in print in a magazine the average person would take this as gospel or the truth. I would have thought this magazine would want to get this correct. I wonder if they will print a retraction and correct this.
    Not likely, incorrect information has been published in aviation periodicals for the +40 yrs I've been reading them. So they are not 100% accurate. Not many publications are. Have yet to come across anything I would classify as "dangerous"

Example...IA is needed for a Condition Inspection on EAB....I have gone around and around and around with not only A&P's but others on this subject.
    Seems like that could be resolved in ~2 minutes by a review of the aircraft operating limitations vs. arguing over who is right.