Quote Originally Posted by Dave Prizio View Post
I imagine that Amy Laboda will respond to the feedback about her comment in the next KITPLANES issue. But I will come to her defense right now. What she said is true. What many people think she said is not, but then she didn't say that you couldn't do the repair work yourself. She only said you would have to go to an A&P or the repair cert holder to have it repaired. That is true.
That's not true. The operating limitations only say that you have to have a Condition Inspection to the scope and detail of Part 43/D and who can do it. Nothing else in Part 43 applies to Exp/AB. Where is the requirement that repairs be logged on an Exp? I'm not talking good practice .. I'm talking required. If you rebuild/repair a part of
the aircraft to the specifications in the plans, it makes no difference who does it. It's back to it's original condition. Presumably, the original builder (manufacturer)
created a CI checklist that's model specific and complies with the scope and detail requirement. I did for my two planes I built. The builder of the one I
owned and didn't build created one. That checklist and any service bulletins were the basis for the Condition Inspection. My A&P was fine with that. He also
was the owner of an ExpAB. I did all the work and the checklist .. then he went down the checklist and verified the items. You need an A&P who's knowledgeable and comfortable in the Exp arena.

On my builds I've used Part 43 as my "bible" on methods and ideas for different tasks. I've also asked for opinions from an A&P, tech counselor, or builder
experienced with the type. I don't complete a task until I understand it and am conservative in my approach. I think that's good practice .. but sure isn't
required.

RT