Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Repairs on an Experimental/AB

I go to my hanger to fly my airplane and find the tire flat and in fixing the tire I go ahead and remove the wheel and grease the bearings. I can then put it all back together and go fly if there is enough time in the day.

No one has to look at or inspect any repair I did. All legal.

Once a year a Condition inspection must be done and signed off by an A&P not an IA.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I go to my hanger to fly my airplane and find the tire flat and in fixing the tire I go ahead and remove the wheel and grease the bearings. I can then put it all back together and go fly if there is enough time in the day.

No one has to look at or inspect any repair I did. All legal.
    That particular task can be done by the PIC/owner of a certified aircraft, too, as it's considered preventative maintenance in FAR43 Appendix A.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gonitzke View Post
    That particular task can be done by the PIC/owner of a certified aircraft, too, as it's considered preventative maintenance in FAR43 Appendix A.
    Da..I should know this, great refresher.....

Ok How about I drain the oil and change it then, check and adjust timing on the engine. I then replace the carb. All things I have done. Then tied her down ran her then flew her.

You were okay until you got past "change the oil."

I got kind of a crazy idea.

While I'll have the repairman certificate for my aircraft, I think it will be a really good idea to introduce the aircraft and talk about homebuilt aircraft maintenance particulars with my on-the-field A&P. You know, kind of a "Hey, look at this! An airplane! Yep, built it myself..." conversation that leads to questions about how it was built and how it's maintained.

Then when Condition Inspection time comes around I have the A&P take a lookie lou out of courtesy and see if he spots something I miss. And then show him the correct log entry and how it's different from an Annual - after which I give him a little something for his time (but not his signature).

Not only will it help me by giving me another set of eyes on the aircraft, it might help him understand E-AB aircraft, and - goodness prevail - if I ever need an A&P to help me when I'm over my head (like performing a compression check) we'll be on the same wave length.

Also, if we know the language that goes on the sticker and wonder if the A&P does or not, why not pre-print it out for him? If he raises an eyebrow, now it's a teaching point - particularly if it's couched in ye ole "hey, this is goofy stuff, but for Experimentals the regulatory language is funky."
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

A seal went out of the front of my mag. I noticed oil dripping from my mag. I thought, no oil in my mag, this should not be. So off comes the cap. The mag was half filled with oil. The points had been running under oil and working. I just flew this airplane the day before. No good.

Being I had no idea how old this mag was, it was not being rebuilt, it was being replaced. So I start calling people whom claim to have new mags. After some drilling I find no indeed these are rebuilt mags being called new, and no one wanted to recharge the magnets. Another story but I want this done.

I finally find a man whom has New Mags in a wooden box setting on a wooden shelf. Just what I wanted, so I order a new mag and wait for the box to come. I go and tell my A&P IA friend what is going on and ask if he will help me. He looks at me and says, after a min or two hesitation, sure when it comes in look me up.

My box arrives and he grabs his buzz box and we head out to the hanger. Before we do anything he hooks the buzz box to the mag. Nothing, zip, zelch, not a thing. We look at it a little bit and he throws his hands up and says, send it back and walks out taking his buzz box with him.

So here I stand looking at this Brand New mag and wondering what is up. I open her up or take the cap off. I grab my multi meter and take a reading across the points. Nothing, notta, zipp...lol This is not right. So I start remembering back to the days we all drove points ignition cars. I get me a nice clean rag and wipe the point a few times. Take another reading, oh, now I have a reading. I check the gap and put her back together.
    I remove my old Mag and install my new one. I grab my degree wheel and hook her to the prop. I then make me a pointer and find TDC. I set the timing at around 28 BTD and tighten her up. Remove all tools and Take her out and she starts on the first pull of the prop, and man does she sound good. After about 30 mins running tied down I untie her and put her to bed.

The next morning before sunup I am in the hanger and getting her out. As the sun rises I am on climb out. As I am flying I see the A&P IA pull up. I fly around for about an hr doing touch and go's and such. After I land the A&P IA walks up and says, she sounds great, what did you do. I told him. He thought it was great the mag was not bad, he also said...good job....after this he said..anytime you need a Condition inspection you look me up.

Tony

My engine has no electric system, so without a buzz box how do I set the timing? I used the multi-meter. Worked great.

http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/Gas-Engines/Building-and-Using-a-Magneto-Timer.aspx

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/184370-1.html?redirected=1

My engine has no electric system, so without a buzz box how do I set the timing? I used the multi-meter. Worked great.
    Valid question. See above. Aircraft electrical system is not needed for certificated aircraft magneto timing.
    Last edited by Mike M; 12-09-2013 at 07:02 AM. Reason: more info

years ago when I was a student in A&P school, I made my own "buzz box" and have used it for many years.
    Since it has an internal battery, kinda just like a multimeter, it works great on aircraft with no electrical system. But then I thought that's how most of them worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Prizio View Post
    I imagine that Amy Laboda will respond to the feedback about her comment in the next KITPLANES issue. But I will come to her defense right now. What she said is true. What many people think she said is not, but then she didn't say that you couldn't do the repair work yourself. She only said you would have to go to an A&P or the repair cert holder to have it repaired. That is true.
    That's not true. The operating limitations only say that you have to have a Condition Inspection to the scope and detail of Part 43/D and who can do it. Nothing else in Part 43 applies to Exp/AB. Where is the requirement that repairs be logged on an Exp? I'm not talking good practice .. I'm talking required. If you rebuild/repair a part of
    the aircraft to the specifications in the plans, it makes no difference who does it. It's back to it's original condition. Presumably, the original builder (manufacturer)
    created a CI checklist that's model specific and complies with the scope and detail requirement. I did for my two planes I built. The builder of the one I
    owned and didn't build created one. That checklist and any service bulletins were the basis for the Condition Inspection. My A&P was fine with that. He also
    was the owner of an ExpAB. I did all the work and the checklist .. then he went down the checklist and verified the items. You need an A&P who's knowledgeable and comfortable in the Exp arena.

On my builds I've used Part 43 as my "bible" on methods and ideas for different tasks. I've also asked for opinions from an A&P, tech counselor, or builder
    experienced with the type. I don't complete a task until I understand it and am conservative in my approach. I think that's good practice .. but sure isn't
    required.

RT

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    if a client refused to pay the piper if the inspection was not completed, one could complete the inspection and enter “I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] in accordance with the scope and detail of appendix D to part 43, and was found to not be in a condition for safe operation.” the operating limitations allow a "similarly worded statement"
    The Operating Limitations require an entry to the effect that the inspection has been completed satisfactorily. Once you start putting unauthorized entries in someone's
    logbook you're destroying private property and could have a whole new set of problems. ($$$) Provide a separate discrepancy list and sign it off when those are addressed.

RT