Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sorta-Newbie Has UL Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    I have a 6 acre piece of property with about a 150 yard flat and wide strip that I believe would be great for a UL. (...) My doubts are that I'll wish I had more range than a 5gal fuel tank can provide. I'm not a speed demon, but cruising at 55 to 60 into a headwind may get old quick.
    (...)
    Not to mention the LSAs are a lot higher than the ULs. I'm looking at a total budget of absolutely no more than $13k total. So that's either $13k for a UL or $13k for a sport license and whatever is left for a LSA.
    I think you did a good consideration already and you know that buget, speed/range, and STOL requirements fight each other. A modern STOL LSA would do, but they are all above $80k (perhaps $65k used). A smaller engine and lighter weight make it cheaper, but when you get under $13k, you lose a lot of speed and range.

I think that in your case the best would be something like a second-hand Kitfox with a 582 engine. Or something unconventional, such as a weight-shift trike.

A B1-RD was mentioned previously...I own a B1-RD and fly in and out of 450' all the time... but I wouldn't want to learn on such a short strip. Get a couple of dozen TO & landings under your belt and walla.. Also you might enjoy flying an ultralight for a while and can always "graduate" to LSA later. Also.. don't know what your local laws are but here in Wisconsin as soon as you're on asphalt and the engine is running you are fair game for he local constabulary..

I am a new pilot. Ok I fly from water not land .I have 30 or 40 TO and landings I still cant get down on a postage stamp.A gust of wind keep you up longer than expected and you are going to have a bad day.You need to get it right every time . You will need that training for that strip. Its easy to get air born I get up in 6 to10 seconds use an unknown footage there are no lines on a lake. But I know I use 2 to 3 time that getting down. As for the UL I love mine Yes it is mine. Design and all. Wasn't exactly cheap but then it was over a long period. Buy A kit and build , you will get a bigger picture of what you are doing and you will keep the price and expenses where you need them. Get that training and you may well be ok on that runway. I am not bored yet but that slow stuff does wear on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    I've been kicking around the idea of ULs as a way to get back up in the air without as much cost. What's worse is that a friend bought a GT500 and keeps it at his house. He uses his gravel road as an airstrip and it's incredibly handy. This has spurred my interest in ULs.

I have a 6 acre piece of property with about a 150 yard flat and wide strip that I believe would be great for a UL. I have a large shop that I could use as my own hangar. I live outside of any city limits and there is no regulated airspace near me. I think I might be in a good position to buy a UL. My doubts are that I'll wish I had more range than a 5gal fuel tank can provide. I'm not a speed demon, but cruising at 55 to 60 into a headwind may get old quick. And my buddy says I'll want an engine bigger, at least 40hp.

The LSA route sounds even better, but might be prohibited based on my possible "short field" grass strip and more expensive due to needing a sport license and having to do annuals on the plane. Not to mention the LSAs are a lot higher than the ULs. I'm looking at a total budget of absolutely no more than $13k total. So that's either $13k for a UL or $13k for a sport license and whatever is left for a LSA.

I really need some advice from some seasoned vets. Is this a viable option or is it still a pipedream?
    UL or experimental LSA (former UL but too heavy or two seat) would be the way to go. LS certificate should not be too expensive if you have your own aircraft and the right CFI. I can tell you of a "poor mans super cub" near, but slightly above, your price range if you are interested.

cfig1467368@yahoo.com