Quote Originally Posted by wakataka View Post
That's right, it's the Sprint that has the single surface and the low stall speed, not the Sport like I said in my previous post. A Sprint with a 447 can get in and out of some pretty tight places.

I fly out of Corning and unfortunately Rainbow Aviation no longer has their 2-place Quicksilver available for training. After the FAA killed the 2-place ultralight training exemption, the trainer had to be classified as an ELSA and could only be used for training under a special approval called a Letter of Deviation. Brain Carpenter said it was taking months to get the Letter of Deviation approved every year. It's very difficult now to find anyone providing training in anything that flies like an ultralight. FAA needs to come up some more reasonable way to allow ultralight type ELSA airplanes to be used for training. The current system requires the LODA be renewed each year and I understand it can take up to 6 months to process a renewal. So how can anyone make a living (or even break even) doing training with their aircraft grounded up to half the year? It's unworkable and it's driving people back to the bad old days of ground based instruction and people basically teaching themselves to fly in the air.

If the asphalt you are referring to is a county road, you may be heading for trouble there. You can't operate airplanes or ultralights legally on public roads.

Martin B.
I talked with a man about a month ago and went and looked at his airplane, legal Eagle. As we stand there looking at his bent up airplane he explains.....

Quote " I flew weight shift back in the 80's then had to stop for family and work got in the way. Now all this is over or grown and out of the house. So I went and got me this thing. I tried to find some instructions but no one does this anymore. So I thought I would taxi her up and down the runway and teach myself. Then she went air born before I was ready. she got sideways and this is what happened. I had to go get my car and drag her back to the hangar."

It gets worse...

Quote " I have never done any work on tube anything but went and purchased me this nice new Oxygen welding kit and am going to repair this airplane. I thought I would work on some scrap pieces and learn how to use this then repair my airplane"

I tried with all my power to make this man understand that he could not do this. It did not work. I talked with him a couple days ago and he told me he was selling the airplane. I hope the person whom purchases this airplane looks really close at this airplane.

People need help and the FAA taking training away from this group is causing a lot of problems. I have more stories like this, and this is sad for I have only been part of this thing we call aviation for a very short time, under 4 years. I should have no stories like this, maybe someone flying decades but not me. Not good at all.

Tony