Thread: Sorta-Newbie Has UL Questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sorta-Newbie Has UL Questions

I guess I should start by saying that about 7 or 8 years ago, I got hooked on aviation and starting taking lessons for my private pilot. I got up to about 25 hours and got married, moved away, bought a house, and life went on without me completing my license although I never lost the love. Now that I'm older and married, I don't think I could afford to get my license back, buy a used 172, pay hangar fees, and annuals each year.

I've been kicking around the idea of ULs as a way to get back up in the air without as much cost. What's worse is that a friend bought a GT500 and keeps it at his house. He uses his gravel road as an airstrip and it's incredibly handy. This has spurred my interest in ULs.

I have a 6 acre piece of property with about a 150 yard flat and wide strip that I believe would be great for a UL. I have a large shop that I could use as my own hangar. I live outside of any city limits and there is no regulated airspace near me. I think I might be in a good position to buy a UL. My doubts are that I'll wish I had more range than a 5gal fuel tank can provide. I'm not a speed demon, but cruising at 55 to 60 into a headwind may get old quick. And my buddy says I'll want an engine bigger, at least 40hp.

The LSA route sounds even better, but might be prohibited based on my possible "short field" grass strip and more expensive due to needing a sport license and having to do annuals on the plane. Not to mention the LSAs are a lot higher than the ULs. I'm looking at a total budget of absolutely no more than $13k total. So that's either $13k for a UL or $13k for a sport license and whatever is left for a LSA.

I really need some advice from some seasoned vets. Is this a viable option or is it still a pipedream?
    Last edited by Olympus; 11-25-2013 at 01:52 PM.