Thread: Budd Davisson on Aerobatics, Judgement, and Stupidity

Budd Davisson on Aerobatics, Judgement, and Stupidity

Budd Davisson's column in Plane & Pilot this month titled "Aerobatics, Judgement, and Stupidity" is an interesting read.

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/pilo...stupidity.html

Bud D suggests that the community of aerobatic pilots might be a little more pro-active with the "do not try this at home" part of our "come join us" messaging to our non-acro peers. Not sure of the practical means for better organizing pilot exuberance.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Budd Davisson on Aerobatics, Judgement, and Stupidity

Thanks for sharing. His last two paragraphs are good.

Various circumstances have brought home to me recently that no man is an island. Absolutely everything we do, unless were an orphaned hermit living in a forest, affects someone else. We'd do well to think of that more often.

To address his thesis though, I would disagree that this kind of behavior is prompted by nonchalant talk by acro pilots. I would instead lump it into the same category as the urge to buzz your friend's house,make a low pass on the runway, do a steep pull-up after takeoff, etc. Most pilots I talk to think acro pilots are verifiably insane, but then in the same breath talk about how they want to (or have done) any of the above silly things.

Just my two cents...
    Last edited by WeaverJ3Cub; 11-21-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    Classic airplanes at historic Red Stewart Airfield, Waynesville, OH: http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/us...ic%20Airplanes

Good article. Thanks for posting, Wes.