Thread: Quicksilver mx2

Quicksilver mx2

What's the concenses on attempting to stay legal in 2 seat ultralights? I'm a CFI with ultralight time, but never a two place.

Register it as a ELSA? Can a CFI still get an exemption?

Found one for sale locally, but need to be legal

NO....It must be factory built.

We need Two seat Ultralight training back for safety.

http://eaa.org/news/2013/2013-11-14_...ilt-issues.asp
    Last edited by 1600vw; 11-19-2013 at 07:52 AM.

You can remove one seat and if it otherwise complies with Part 103, fly it as an ultralight. Another option is experimental-exhibition.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    You can remove one seat and if it otherwise complies with Part 103, fly it as an ultralight. Another option is experimental-exhibition.
    But you can never train in it. It must be a factory built LSA to train in. Not even a Zeinth 701 or 750 can you train in even if Zenith builds it for you. It must be an approved LSA by the FAA.

What if I don't want to give training, just be able to fly it with a passenger?

Its currently apart, can't I try to get a airworthiness certificate via the EAB route?

EAA Staff / Moderator Timm Bogenhagen's Avatar
    The 2-place ultralight training exemption ended in 2008. Now all 2-seaters must be registered with an N-number and have an airworthiness certificate. Does the Quicksilver you are looking at have an N-number and airworthiness certificate?

FAR 91.319(h) allows the use of an experimental aircraft for compensated flight training by obtaining a letter of deviation authority (LODA). The FAA policy to issue LODAs is rather restrictive and can be difficult to understand. Call me at EAA HQ if you would like to discuss it, 920-426-6831.
    Have Fun & Fly Safe!
    Timm
    EAA 379292
    MiniMAX 1600R
    Challenger II
    HiMAX - in progress

No N number currently. I'm not opposed to registering it as a EAB as it is in many pieces currently.

Quote Originally Posted by joen6171b View Post
    No N number currently. I'm not opposed to registering it as a EAB as it is in many pieces currently.
    Simply assembling the pieces won't comply with the "major portion" fabrication requirement. Can put it together as experimental exhibition and the additional restrictions won't make any difference on a plane of that type.

I guess that's up the the DAR right? I only need to prove I put 51% of it together

Quote Originally Posted by joen6171b View Post
    I guess that's up the the DAR right? I only need to prove I put 51% of it together
    Fill out the fabrication and assembly checklist in AC 20-27G, Appendix 8 and let us know how close you are to proving that.....