Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry, you're too fat to be a pilot. Love, FAA

The FAA has already announced that they're just starting at a BMI of 40 and higher, then they'll work their way down to lower BMIs. They haven't said where they'll stop.
    There are some people with high BMIs who are very fit. A lot of muscle is heavy. BMI is a poor choice for a measurement.

If not challenged here, then what's next?

I've got a different take on this.

Notice that this is starting in commercial aviation. For as long as I remember, FAA has been requesting comments for one NPRM after another.The subject: "crew rest regs." FAA pulls one way, the carriers yank the other way, the crews are in the middle and every one files comments. This popped up as a factor in the Colgan accident in NY a few years ago. Sure, that crew had their issues with training and pilot error. The thing that scandalized the public the most (IMHO) was when the press reported that the crew spent most of their "rest time" the night before their flight in a travel status. They did get a few hours snooze on a sofa before preflight.

So now, FAA no longer wants to wrestle in the mud with pigs over crew rest regs, but now tries a different tack. They just have their AMEs check the applicants collar size. Its now handled at the local level and the suits in Oke City don't break a sweat. You working pilots know I'm right.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by CDS View Post
    The FAA has already announced that they're just starting at a BMI of 40 and higher, then they'll work their way down to lower BMIs. They haven't said where they'll stop.
    There are some people with high BMIs who are very fit. A lot of muscle is heavy. BMI is a poor choice for a measurement.

If not challenged here, then what's next?
    If one is healthy, I don't see anything to worry about.

Question is, if they go by bmi, and neck size, and, according to your doctor, you're healthy, vs the FAA's definition, how is adding a special waiver a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    If one is healthy, I don't see anything to worry about.
    Not as simple as it sounds. Airplanes are easy. The wear is either within tolerances or its not. The computer printout says the component has another 98.4 hrs until retirement or it doesn't. Cut and dry. Many more variables with people. Just because a pilot no longer takes his meds doesn't mean he is no longer bipolar.

The bulletin talks of sleep studies. ($3K to $4K). Untreated, OSA is disqualifying. Buy a medical device (< $3K) and presto, its treated. All because your neck is too big.They plan to "work" the limit down to 20 bmi.

I stand by my previous post that there is a lot of fatigue in cockpits. Some may be caused by too much snoring (OSA). Much more by long hours.

Bob

More here: http://www.eaa.org/news/2013/2013-11...g-proposal.asp

And here's a link to EAA's letter to Administrator Huerta: http://www.eaa.org/news/2013/release...nea-letter.pdf

"If one is healthy, I don't see anything to worry about."

Marty, I'm 5' 10" (I used to be 6' but squashed a vertebrae and a couple discs doing manly things) 210lbs. That equates to a BMI of 30.1. According to the FAA, I'm fat. I am not. I have a 52" chest, 32" waist, run, lift (a lot) and, have a very low body fat percentage. The boobs in Ok city don't care. My doc has gone around and around with them. Still, I can only get 1 year special issuance medicals because of a minor pre-existing condition which has never-nor ever will-pose a problem and they say due to my presentation of diminished physical condition. I don't know what they consider to be in "good shape" but I'd be afraid of that dude! This is another tactic to reduce and eventually eliminate GA and put the government in control of all aviation, plain and simple. I've quit getting medicals. I've found it really hasn't diminished my ability to fly whatever airplane I want!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    The bulletin talks of sleep studies. ($3K to $4K). Untreated, OSA is disqualifying. Buy a medical device (< $3K) and presto, its treated. All because your neck is too big.They plan to "work" the limit down to 20 bmi.

Bob
    Those Medical devices know as a CPAP machine have a recorder inside that logs your usage every night and monitors your sleep habit. That data has to be turned into your doctor. I used one for awhile but found i couldn't sleep with it on because it bothered me so much. From what i was told by the FAA you have to have 6 months of good monitored sleep to qualify as ok and i would bet it has to be turned in everytime you renew your medical. I asked about it when i was speaking with the FAA at Oshkosh 2012 about retesting for my color blindness. They had brochures at the desk about sleep apnea. Wish i hadn't because he probably put it in my file. And yes i'm fat. According to one BMI calc i am at 37.59 (obese class 2).

skeeter
    Last edited by skeeter_ca; 11-21-2013 at 10:15 AM.

PacerPilot: I feel your pain. I did the same but broke my neck from, well they never did know from what. Then I crushed vertebrae more then 5 times. Bulging disc's are part of it as are hair line fractures.
    They found I have Osteoporosis and have it bad. My T scores are those of a 100 yr old woman some lower then that. Two years ago I had only one good bone inmy body and it was my left forearm or whatever they call that bone. All others where almost off the charts, one hip is gone 1/4 left. I am running on borrowed time but what do you do.
    Get a Bone density check ASAP, and don't let them do just the wrest or angle do a complete body scan, takes about 5 mins. I was 42 when this hit me or took my life from me. I have learned to deal with it. Our Lord has been good to me, do not feel sorry for me and I do not feel sorry for myself. I am a lucky man.

Just call me...Osteo-Man...LOL

Tony

Banned
    CPAP machines are not the only solution for snoring and OSA. Oral Appliance Therapy is an alternative and a very effective treatment for those with mild to moderate OSA. There are 2 types: Tongue Retaining Device and Mandibular Advancing Device. They are far less invasive, less expensive and much more tolerable to wear than CPAP. TALK TO YOUR DENTIST.