Thread: The Best Airshow

The Best Airshow

One way I think about airshow acts is do they have a screamer or not? Can you imagine going into the Louvre Museum and as you are admiring one of the great masterpieces, someone comes up and starts screaming in your ear about how great what you are seeing is.
    A lot of the acts , especially the jet acts have a full time professional screamer. When they come on I try to go inside a building or even leave the field for lunch somewhere else. Fortunately EAA has made some days more jet days so it is not totally random.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    One way I think about airshow acts is do they have a screamer or not? Can you imagine going into the Louvre Museum and as you are admiring one of the great masterpieces, someone comes up and starts screaming in your ear about how great what you are seeing is.
    A lot of the acts , especially the jet acts have a full time professional screamer. When they come on I try to go inside a building or even leave the field for lunch somewhere else. Fortunately EAA has made some days more jet days so it is not totally random.
    "THERE GOES MY DAD SEAN TUCKER RIGHT INTO THE TRIPLE LINDY WITH A DOUBLE FLOP ON THE END ALL WHILE BLOWING SMOKE THROUGH THE EXHAUST SYSTEM PROVIDED BY BLOWTORCH AIRMOTIVE" gets old real quick.

It would be nice if EAA would pick a day during the event to have the acts fly without their carnival barkers.

It would be nice to have a day with the entire PA system and the helicopters silenced.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by BJC View Post
    It would be nice to have a day with the entire PA system and the helicopters silenced.

BJC
    The helicopters have never really bothered me, but I recognize they bother others. On the good side, at least they actually fly, as opposed to just making noise.

One of the best airshows I ever attended was Jimmy Franklin flying a Piper Aerostar 600 in Aspen Colorado back in the early 90's. He used the surrounding mountains and terrain to mask and unmask his twin with lots of smoke. The green mountains and further in the distance the Maroon Bells made his show one of the most memorable I've ever witnessed. Airshows with a dynamic background like we have out west are hard to beat. The same can be said for Bud Granley at Arlington back in the good old days. Mt. Baker and the rest of the Cascades made a a great T-6 pilot look even better.

I think my favorite was one where Bob Hoover was flying the yellow P-51. It was early '80s, at Page airport. He was off to the South, "patched" to the PA, and said "look to your left, but don't blink or you'll miss me". He popped up over a row of trees inverted, the rudder looked to be only a few feet above the runway. Was quite a memorable sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    The helicopters have never really bothered me, but I recognize they bother others. On the good side, at least they actually fly, as opposed to just making noise.
    My problem with them is that they fly over the forum area, and often make it impossible to hear the speaker.

BJC

I pretty much avoid the air show as it’s become just one noisy prolonged commercial. But probably the best moment I ever saw was when Audrey Poberezny got goated into taking a wing walk ride on top of Walt Pierce’s Stearman. I got to give it to her, she climbed right up there and did her thing. Not me, no way, no how!!
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun