Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time to EAA Airventure next year

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n7227c View Post
    what would you recommend doing for hotel, im in the process now of planning this trip out and would love to hear ALL recommendations on this.

which is better Dorm, Hotel, or residents?

getting so excited about this trip! XD

If your question has been asked once on the forum, it's been asked a thousand times. You will get a plethora of responses that offer differing opinions, observations and preferences because everyone has different needs and wants and wallets. So, your question should not be "what's better" but rather "these are my accommodation requirements while at Oshkosh and this is what I'd like to spend per day, how can I best fulfill these?"

Hotel rates within 40 miles of Osh go up 2-2.5 times-very expensive. If you go to Green Bay(50 miles-a 45 min. drive) you will get the everyday normal rate. You will then need a car but those rates in GB are normal as well. Dorms from what I've read here are quite reasonably priced but may not/probably don't have private bathrooms or AC(get's real hot & humid that week). I don't have any info on residences

Once you receive all the info here based on your requirements, you will be better equipped to follow up with your own research.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 01-17-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Since I enjoy camping, that's all I've done at OSH, with my airplane "under the wing", so to speak. I've camped in the North 40, the South 40 (sometimes referred to as North Fon du Lac), and Vintage. The only "bad" experience I've had was a storm hit mid-week a couple years ago, which did a little damage to my tent--flattened some of my neighbors' tents, but I think a lot of that is avoidable if the tent is tied down sufficiently. Showers, potties, and other conveniences have been close enough, so I've never felt inconvenienced. The shuttles and buses offer plenty of transportation convenience to get to show center, from any of the aviation camping areas. Since I've ridden buses which went through the Camp Scholler area, it looks as if transportation from there is plenty OK, too.

Friends rent a home each year which is only a couple blocks north of the field, which sleeps 7 or 8 people. That's certainly convenient, and as you've seen, there are many private homes available. That particular one includes use of an older Buick, and it has a nice back yard with a hot tub. I've met the owner, and he's a really decent guy--he and his family usually go to their vacation cabin in northern WI during Airventure, like many families whose home towns have a huge influx of tourists during a week or two each year.

The only complaint I've heard about the dorms has been the lack of air-conditioning--not sure if that was an anomaly or normal. I haven't met anyone who used a local hotel/motel. I did meet a couple who chose to stay in Green Bay, and they complained about the long traffic lines to get onto the field each day.

My 2 cents.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

First year I stayed in the dorms. No AC, but nice warm full force stay-on when you turn them on showers. You do waste some time getting down to the show.
    Every other year I've camped (usually with the plane, but I did a turn in Camp Scholler when the plane was down for restoration). I've got a few friends who do the "BUS Style" RV thing, and others who stay in residences. It's all a matter of taste.

Frankly, camping in Vintage is "right there in the middle of the show" and relatively inexpensive.