Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/3 scale B17 and no this is not an RC. The Bally Bomber

1/3 scale B17 and no this is not an RC. The Bally Bomber

Thought I would share this.

http://theballybomber.com/

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    We've been watching this project for a while now - we can't wait to see it fly!

Here's an early story we did:

http://www.eaa.org/warbirdsbriefing/...f-a-cessna.asp

Our (full-scale) B-17 crew even stopped in to visit Jack last July - they were pretty excited about it as well.

Name:  1016805_148997345305053_335247863_n.jpg
Views: 2569
Size:  61.2 KB

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I've been to Jack's place to see the project and I am still in awe and amazement of his dedication and detail he has put in to this project.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

What a spectacular project ! What a spectacular personal achievement for an EAA homebuilder, even up to this point alone.

It would sure be a shame if the Sport Aviation article about this one-off homebuilt had to be made smaller and less prominent, because a decision was made to prioritize an article about a turbine PC-12 with de-ice boots.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

I've been following this project too. Hats off to these guys for bringing this project to completion, can't wait to see it fly!

BTW: Where did I first hear about this project? The warbird replica HQ at Oshkosh....

The Facebook site shows a first flight in December 2016 which was not caught on video. Apparently, the plane flew to another airport without an update since. Anyone have the skinny on the project since first flight?

https://www.facebook.com/BallyBomber/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BallyBom...=page_internal

Had another flight but again no video, a change in pilots and a medical delay till after AirVenture. The plane is hangared at Dixon Municipal Airport. For me it would be a 200 mile round trip road trip to just drop in unannounced..... so I'll just keep watching their Facebook home and website.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 07-14-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Yes its a couple hour drive for me also. I may do this after OshKosh.

absolute great project and I have nothing but admiration for the builder. but that little voice is saying "two unplanned flights" and no video? perhaps a still shot of it in the air? I want and hope to see it fly, but there is that question..... Probably waiting for a carefully planned unveiling/"first" flight.
    Last edited by mikey; 07-15-2017 at 09:28 PM.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    I spent the day with Jack Bally a couple of months ago and got a great up-close look at this all-but-unbelievable airplane. My feature story on it will be in the August issue. Give it a read and let me know what you think!

- Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation