Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My journey into building a Vans RV4

My journey into building a Vans RV4

Hi guys.

My Name is Seth Jackson and I am a 21 year old from Fort Worth Texas.Aviation has been a big part of my life. I grew up around airplanes on both my mom's and dad's side of the family. My first airplane ride was in my dad's Cessna 170 when I was only four years old and I was hooked ever since. We took trips in that little airplane and a few years later, we bought a Cessna 180. We had the 180 for 13 years until we decided that it needed to go. We then decided that we wanted to build a airplane. We looked at the homebuilt market and came across the RV-8. We now have a RV-8 and have been flying it ever since. After helping building one, I knew I wanted to build a RV. But I did not know which model. I looked at the RV7 and the RV4. When my dad and I were at Oshkosh 2012, I came across a guy that was camping in front of us by the name of Shawn Scott. Shawn had a beautiful RV4. He told me that he lived in our area on an airport about 30 miles away from us. After visiting with Shawn at Oshkosh I was certain that I wanted to build an RV-4. I visited him at his airport to talk to him some more about the airplane. He said that if I was real serious about building one, he would give me a RV-4 stabilizer to have so I could get started. Shawn has really inspired me to build this airplane. He is not only my friend, but he is my mentor. He told me contact him if I needed any help along the way. This past weekend, I went to a fly in and Shawn was there with his airplane. We got together with all of our aviation friends and talked for a while. Towards the end of our conversation with our friends, he told them that I was building a RV-4 and that he gave me a stabilizer. He also stated " I Do not think I could have given it to any one else more desiring, I wanted to help your dream come true for you."Later that day, Shawn took me for a ride in his aiplane. I want to thank Shawn for inspiring me to build this airplane as well as being my mentor and thanks to the RVnation group on Facebook for all the help along the way. Please join me in this adventure into building a Vans RV-4!

Seth
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You are well on your way, only 90% to go. Post more pics on your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    You are well on your way, only 90% to go. Post more pics on your progress!
    Don't forget: When you're 90% done, you're halfway there.

Fantastic!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

That's great, Seth! My only advice is that the build will go faster if you ditch the A&M hat.

Dave........in the suburbs of Baton Rouge

Thanks for the support guys. Believe it or not, I am still a student pilot. But when I get my license, I may have an airplane! Wacoc8, thanks or for the advice. I expect to see a big A&M sticker on your airplane after we beat y'all this weekend haha. Today I just did some organization around the hangar and preparing a place to start the build. I already have the project started in a different location so I will post pictures of it later today

Since LSU and A&M don't play until next weekend we will have to hold off on the sticker. I restored a Luscombe when I was your age......college, job, girls, beer.......so much fun.....you will learn time management if nothing else. I wish you the best. Now about them Aggies......

Seth: Don't know what quadrant of town you are in, but this Wednessay night (the 20th) is Chapter 670's meeting at Hicks Field. We meet at the Beacon Cafe and Christie fixes a wonderful meal every month. Cost is 10$ per person. We eat at 6, with the meeting starting at 7. We have at least two Vans builders in the chapter, a Questair?, a Fokker Triplane project, my big Fairchild project and numerous others. This month, the program is on the Quasar Light LSA, presented by GW Trotter.

If Wednesdays are not open in your schedule, then there is Chapter 34 in Arlington, and 280 down in Burleson.

At one time, I belonged to all three chapters, but family and the job has curtailed that.

Quote Originally Posted by wacoc8 View Post
    Since LSU and A&M don't play until next weekend we will have to hold off on the sticker. I restored a Luscombe when I was your age......college, job, girls, beer.......so much fun.....you will learn time management if nothing else. I wish you the best. Now about them Aggies......
    . Great airplane. Now about them Tigers.....
    Last edited by VansRV4ator; 11-17-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Craig,

Thanks for the info. My mother lives out at Propwash Airport in Justin and I currently live on a small airport in the Keller area called Stagecoach Hills. I have been told about the Chapter meeting at Hicks. I may have to swing by there sometime soon. I would love to visit with ya'll. Anyways, got my RV-4 Project out today and started sorting. Here are some pictures of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images