Thread: training in a home built aircraft?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question training in a home built aircraft?

Hey All,

I am a student pilot that is very close to getting my Private Pilot license (hopefully in November ). I want to go on to get my Instrument Rating and then Commercial Pilot. In order to achieve my goals I am considering purchasing an airplane. One thing I have considered is purchasing a home built aircraft. There are some really nice amateur built aircraft on the market that appear to be a good value. I do have some questions about training and accumulating hours in a home built though. My CFI was not sure if there would be any implication for using a home built in order to train and log hours towards my IFR. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions or limitations on using home built instead of a production aircraft to obtain the required experience as laid out in the FAR? Could I use a home built aircraft to take my check ride for Instrument Rating? Has anyone ever gotten a private pilot, instrument rating, or any other FAA certification using a home built aircraft? Thanks much for your time.

Kind Regards

I got my PPL in the RV-10 my husband and I built, and he's doing his instrument training in it. As long as it's your own airplane, has the required instruments, and you can find a CFI who is willing, there's no reason you can't train in an experimental.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinson220 View Post
    I got my PPL in the RV-10 my husband and I built, and he's doing his instrument training in it. As long as it's your own airplane, has the required instruments, and you can find a CFI who is willing, there's no reason you can't train in an experimental.
    I'll just add that you also need a DPE that's willing as well if you intend to take the practical in an experimental aircraft.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Banned
    funny!

i wish i could build an airplane in my house,

it could be nice for the kids as well

nice forum by the way!!

cheers !!

scot
    ------------------
    eyesight improving
    vision correction
    Last edited by scotron80; 12-19-2011 at 06:09 AM.