Hey All,

I am a student pilot that is very close to getting my Private Pilot license (hopefully in November ). I want to go on to get my Instrument Rating and then Commercial Pilot. In order to achieve my goals I am considering purchasing an airplane. One thing I have considered is purchasing a home built aircraft. There are some really nice amateur built aircraft on the market that appear to be a good value. I do have some questions about training and accumulating hours in a home built though. My CFI was not sure if there would be any implication for using a home built in order to train and log hours towards my IFR. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions or limitations on using home built instead of a production aircraft to obtain the required experience as laid out in the FAR? Could I use a home built aircraft to take my check ride for Instrument Rating? Has anyone ever gotten a private pilot, instrument rating, or any other FAA certification using a home built aircraft? Thanks much for your time.

Kind Regards