Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best U.S. cities for recreational aviation?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Boatright View Post
    I guess it would be reasonable to ask why sailplanes and powered parachutes are the exceptions to the rule.
    It works great when the trailer is designed properly. Gliders generally have rigging aids, dollies, etc. that when well thought-out, allow them to be assembled and disassembled quickly without damage, and even by one person in some cases. The same could be done for a powered plane, but aircraft, trailer, and rigging aids must be designed with this in mind.

There are also gliders that do get damaged every other time they come out of the trailer, but it's because the trailer is an awkward POS, not because it's in a trailer. Airplanes get damaged in a hangar full of other airplanes, too, you know...

I was on a waiting list for more than two years for my last hangar. There were many times that I could have shared space with a friend if only Beechcraft made her to fold up like a leatherman tool. The US Navy is closing in on a full century of specifying only aircraft with this feature.

Kitfox and Sonerai have been doing this (inexpensively) for years. There is an STC for wing fold for the Ercoupe. Stits designed the Playmate that folds up in about 30 seconds. Did I mention gliders? Sounds very reasonable to me.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Boatright View Post
    I guess it would be reasonable to ask why sailplanes and powered parachutes are the exceptions to the rule.
    Two guesses, for me. First, glider flying is generally not an ad-hoc activity. I get off work, note the weather's nice, and decide to go to the airport for a bit of Fly Baby R&R. Total time at the airport is less than an hour, from arrival to putting the plane to bed. Don't see a glider owner doing this; generally, they devote a larger portion the day. Since they fly less often, they're moving the plane into and out of the trailer less often. They almost always *fly* longer than I do...but they move the plane out of and into the trailer once every couple of flight hours, vs. my 30-40 minutes per pull-out/insertion at my hangar with a big door.

The second point is related...one reason glider pilots don't generally fly on impulse is the external support required. They need a towplane, towplane pilot, and sometimes runners to help keep the wings up during the early part of the takeoff roll. Not only does this, again, reduce the ability to fly on the spur of the moment, but it means that you probably have a number of folks around who can help you extract your glider from its trailer without damage, and put it back in again.

Powered parachutes back up to a small, less-delicate bundle. A lot less potential for damage when dealing with a trailer.

Got a buddy with a Fourier RF-5 motorglider, who has to fold the wings to go in his hangar and has to keep them folded until he's clear of the hangar area. He rolls it out of the hangar, gets in, starts it, taxis down to the transient ramp, then shuts down the engine to climb out to unfold the wings. Still, a lot less hassle than trying to carefully slip it into a trailer.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 11-13-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Inserting hidden dirty words to give Hal something to do

I'll have to make a pitch for central Alabama. Loads of airfields, low taxes, and varied terrain.

From mountains to the north to rolling fields of the wiregrass down to the coast, it can't be beat for lookie-loo aviation.

Employment is good, food is great, and people are friendly. Plus we rarely get the white stuff; I've done my cold weather living in Montana, and I much prefer the warmth.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Myself I would love to move back to CA. But I believe the cost of just hangar rent in CA. would force me to live in my hangar with my airplane.
    I am in the Sacramento area. I rent a T at a small private airport (L36) for $175/mo with vacancies. lass than a mile away at KMCC it would be $400, KDWA $300. It varies dramatically in just my little area. I like the central valley - lots of varied landscape to look at from the water focused delta to the rice fields, to the Sutter Butts popping up in the middle. Sierras just a few minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    I am in the Sacramento area. I rent a T at a small private airport (L36) for $175/mo with vacancies. lass than a mile away at KMCC it would be $400, KDWA $300. It varies dramatically in just my little area. I like the central valley - lots of varied landscape to look at from the water focused delta to the rice fields, to the Sutter Butts popping up in the middle. Sierras just a few minutes away.

I pay $45.00 a month for my hangar. 175 for a T hangar in your area is a good price. I thought it would have been double that.