Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best U.S. cities for recreational aviation?

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    But I believe the cost of just hangar rent in CA. would force me to live in my hangar with my airplane.
    And the downside of that would be.....? ;-)

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Independence, Oregon is pretty good. Great EAA Chapter there.

Ron Wanttaja

Myself I would love to move back to CA. But I believe the cost of just hangar rent in CA. would force me to live in my hangar with my airplane.
    Well, if you can find an airport with through-the-fence access or a convenient farmer's field outside controlled airspace, you could keep this one at home or inconspicuously hangared in a 20' shipping container. I'm just saying.... ;-)

Name:  tumblr_inline_mw58693yEy1r3ohis.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  71.0 KB Name:  tumblr_inline_mw585rtrAS1r3ohis.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  70.1 KB
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Many have tried this approach to flying and find that after going out putting everything together then flying for an hr or so then taking everything back apart, that gets old real fast. The airplane I fly today lived its life in a trailer. They would do just as I said. Not only did it get old for the folks trying to do this, the airplane has the hangar rash to show for it.
    The day I purchased her I swore I would never let her live in a trailer again.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 11-13-2013 at 05:28 AM.

Check out that pic I posted of my wing and you wills see some of this hangar rash. Its on the aileron, the ratchet strap wore a spot on the paint. I kinda touched it up while doing some other repairs. Taking an airplane apart and keeping it in a trailer is not a good idea.

Imagine the rash it will get pulling her behind a car or truck like in the pic. Myself I would never do this, the pic looks cool but that's about it.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 11-13-2013 at 05:33 AM.

Taking an airplane apart and keeping it in a trailer is not a good idea.
    That's how practically all gliders are stored. If done properly, it works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gonitzke View Post
    That's how practically all gliders are stored. If done properly, it works just fine.
    A lot of things are stored that way and it works great. But not so much for anything flying with an engine, even the small ultralights take a beating when stored this way.

If this worked everyone flying would be doing it...This does not work...ask anyone whom has tried...again gliders are an exception to the rule. As are PPC.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 11-13-2013 at 01:07 PM.

A lot of things are stored that way and it works great. But not so much for anything flying with an engine, even the small ultralights take a beating when stored this way.

If this worked everyone flying would be doing it...This does not work...ask anyone whom has tried...again gliders are an exception to the rule. As are PPC.

I agree with 1600vw. I've seen a few folks over the years try to keep their planes in trailers or in sheds where wings, etc. are folded and unfolded for use. All of these ended up in significant hangar rash and every one of those people eventually figured out a solution that didn't require folding/unfolding.

I guess it would be reasonable to ask why sailplanes and powered parachutes are the exceptions to the rule.

I hear you all about wing folding, but it certainly can work. This plane and pilot have been doing it off and on for 50 years!

Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    I hear you all about wing folding, but it certainly can work. This plane and pilot have been doing it off and on for 50 years!

That only took 1 min and 6 sec. No wonder he does this.

Notice it is a two man job and was more like 45 mins to an 1 hr. But we all know this, I am not telling anyone anything they did not already know. I would hate to go through this each time I wanted to fly for an hour or so.

Lets not forget with this method one must have friends to help.....if you are like me..I have no friends....Aviation is a one man sport or hobby in my world....
    Last edited by 1600vw; 11-13-2013 at 01:52 PM.