Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best U.S. cities for recreational aviation?

Best U.S. cities for recreational aviation?

I live and work overseas, but someday I intend to retire back in the USA. My family connections to any one place are not that strong, so sometimes I wonder where I might settle down to pursue homebuilding, restoring vintage planes, maybe even coming up with my own designs for plans or kits. What are some places that would combine good flying weather, EAA chapter(s) of various sorts, lots of little airports, some aviation industry in the area, and, of course, are otherwise nice places to live?
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 11-11-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

How long is someday?
    Not being connected to one spot I myself have been going over this. I really do not like the area I am in and would like to move. So I started looking as you are doing. For around 800 bucks I have a hangar, 2 bedroom home with everything paid, I mean everything I do nothing for yard care, snow removal, garbage pick up all covered and lets not forget utilities all paid. Not sure I can find this anywhere else.
    We have one more spot for someone into aviation. You must LOVE aviation to live her, for the residents is about 30' from a helli pad. But for a 4 bedroom place and hangar just feet away not a bad deal for the right person. Everything paid as my place as long as you are not waste full, great place to live, whom wants to come aboard. 4000' sod strip one of the best I have seen, I have heard this a lot from other pilots whom have landed here, and a Helli pad.
    Contact me for info if interested.

We are also looking to start a training center, we are working on this, also a service center for not only EAB's but for GA. This would be great for a retired A&P whom would like to make a little extra dough working on airplanes in the spare time. We have an A&P IA whom is starting this service center or wanting to start it, The owner of the airpark is all for it, I offered up any and all help I can give.

Cheap place to live and make some extra cash to boot. I love it.

One big problem I can not solve....Its located in Illinois... I must say since I found this place....Illinois is a little easier to take.

Who wants to join us?
    Last edited by 1600vw; 11-11-2013 at 06:55 AM.

The airpark on the right of the pic midway up, or off my wing to the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interesting 1600vw, I won't really be eligible for at least five years, but I'd be interested to see what you get for your money.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

General DFW area. More airports of any shape and size, several aviation museums, always a fly-in of some type, no income taxes, excellent housing costs, no aircraft registration, and on and on.

SoCal might be a bit better but taxes and housing costs kill that deal for me.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Are you specifically interesting in being close to a city?

I know people who live near St Louis, MO, and some who live in the Seattle area. St Louis is/was home to MacDonnell Douglas, which is now part of Boeing. And Seattle is the home of where Boeing originally made airplanes. Lots of EAA around both cities.

North Carolina has a lot of EAA and vintage aircraft. Nice weather almost year-round.

In California, the area east of San Francisco and Oakland is pretty aviation friendly. I have an acquaintance who lives at Camarillo's airpark. Lots of good flying weather, but you may or may not appreciate CA politics and costs.

A lot of folks like Florida, but the Space Coast area has been hit by the NASA down sizing. But my friends who live in airparks on both coasts like it.

What type of terrain do you like? NC and WA and CA have both mountains and access to the ocean. TX around Dallas has EAA and aviation industry but it is really really flat, as is the St Louis area.

Lots of choices.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Florida has many airports, small and large and flight schools, av businesses, museums, military air bases, etc. Weather is often VFR, and decent in the winter, but can be awfully hot and muggy in summer.
    There are fine and expensive places to live, as well as cheap ones in the less desirable areas.
    Downside is that some areas have a lot of crime and while there are lot's of good folks there, the people in some areas are very backward, racist, and the worst of the south types. And bring your snake, skeeter, and gator repellant.
    Plenty of good places to fly from or to, and lot's of EAA people, and of course the big EAA event, Sun N Fun at Lakeland every April. The timing is good, just after doing your tax return, you can go to Lakeland and relax.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-11-2013 at 11:06 AM.

I'd agree with Bill. I used to live in the area of the Fly In. There's a lot to offer for GA in that area.

David

The San Diego/SoCal area would be my first pick.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerpilot View Post
    The San Diego/SoCal area would be my first pick.
    Myself I would love to move back to CA. But I believe the cost of just hangar rent in CA. would force me to live in my hangar with my airplane.