Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best path?

Banned
    Interesting thread.. this will really be helpful as well as all the replies.. I'm a frustrated pilot too....

I retired from IT and credit my degree with most of my success in the field. The degree was not in IT but was a factor in virtually every promotion. Thankfully one of my bosses was very supportive of my dream to fly and allowed me to work it into my schedule. Basically my advise is to get the degree. It doesn't matter what degree but one you find interesting will keep you focused. IMHO it would be better to separate the PPL from the degree plan to allow time to focus on each as both are going to make demands on financial as well as family. IT can be an excellent income with which to pursue other dreams.

The other thing...is that I think this sort of dilemma is common across a range of industries. If someone is unhappy, they tend to blame that unhappiness on the job they do, the marriage they are in, or the debt they have...rather than take a good look at themselves. Happiness comes from within, not from a job, a boat, a sports car, a plane or a flash set of golf clubs or from moving to a new country.
    If someone isn't happy or content, changing their job may, or may not make them happy. They may initially change, but ultimately they still feel the same inside so the new job will eventually wear off.

Rolls Eyes

Was offered the opportunity to help build an RV-12 by a retired airline pilot and his son, who is a current airline pilot, with the reward being that they would teach me how to fly. The airplane is almost ready to fly, and the instruction should begin soon.

So far, even with all the ups and downs, it has been an incredible experience.
    Last edited by Darryn; 01-03-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    Darryn D. Davis EAA 690636 RV-12 N68DM -Gravity brings me down

I'm still on my way to getting my PPL and have been at it for a couple years now. The reason that it's taken me so long has been a lack of funding.

I can't say what's best for anyone but along the way I've figured out a few of the things that have worked for me and some things that didn't work so well for me. As they say, your mileage may vary.

I flew my first 25+ hours (up to where I soloed) in a C-150. There are a few things that I think would have helped me get there faster. I wasn't flying a lot because of the expense of renting and that slowed down my progress. Also I think that I spent too much time too soon flying the pattern when I should have spent some hours just getting used to flying the airplane and learning it's behavior. That would have been a great help.

When it really started to come together for me was when I bought my own airplane. It's a '58 Tripacer that I have about $22k into. First of all it is my airplane - I feel more comfortable experimenting with it than I would with someone else's. Not sure why - I think it's like when borrowing someone else's car you are especially careful with it, more so than with your own. Then there's the fact that I can fly it as much as I want - taking the cost of fuel into consideration. That really helps. Finally there is the biggie - what am I going to do when I get my license? If I don't have an airplane of my own I'm going to be renting and at something like $100 an hour I'm likely to be flying now and then rather than whenever the day is right.

I mention this because my sense is that my purchase of a modestly priced aircraft has probably dollar for dollar done more to get me down the road towards really learning how to fly than about anything else. And assuming that I don't damage it I should be able to get all my money back when I sell it.

Just something to consider.