Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Doe Mac McClellan Write For EAA?

Marty,
    Unfotunately there is a flaw in using the internet for technical research. At least with printed media, there is some sense of hope that information presented has been reviewed by peers on a subject before ever being published. With the internet, everyone is an expert, and as humans we tend to gravitate towards and trust what WE want to hear. There are no "online" credientals, we are all equal. Bad ideas as well as good ones get promoted and it turns into a sea of confusion. There still is a need for printed, reviewed and trusted media.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Marty,
    Unfotunately there is a flaw in using the internet for technical research. At least with printed media, there is some sense of hope that information presented has been reviewed by peers on a subject before ever being published. With the internet, everyone is an expert, and as humans we tend to gravitate towards and trust what WE want to hear. There are no "online" credientals, we are all equal. Bad ideas as well as good ones get promoted and it turns into a sea of confusion. There still is a need for printed, reviewed and trusted media.
    I have seen some really bad information printed in magazines recently. I'm not sure there is much in the way of peer review going on anymore unless you are talking about university level research papers.

Aaron, correct me if I am wrong but there is no peer review of SA articles. The only review is by an editor who may or may not have any knowledge of the subject. Not to worry, if something is wrong, reader letters will pour in but that doesn't stop it from being published. So if you are relying on SA as a printed, reviewed and trusted media, it's falling way short of the bar on two of three objectives.

Forums have plenty of peer review. If something is posted that is incorrect, it would be highly unusual for it not to be challenged by other forum members. Bad information gets squashed pretty quick in a forum. Even a newbie can filter the good from the bad.
    Last edited by martymayes; 11-13-2013 at 09:29 AM.

I will agree that there is just as much bad info in printed media as there is on the internet. The advantage of the internet is that you can quickly get multiple sources and compare them to sort out the sketchy stuff. Harder to do that with printed info.

I will also agree that Jeff Skiles brings great writing to the magazine. His monthly contribution is one of the first places I turn to when the magazine arrives. Jeff S is just as good in person. If you get a chance to see him speak, don't miss it. He describes his experience landing in the Judson with great humor, candor, and humility. I have a yellowed copy of Richard Bach's "A Gift of Wings". I rate the writing that I see under Jeff S's byline equal to the stories in that volume.

I think that Bud Davisson was mentioned above. His column is in Plane & Pilot and is the only reason that I go to that web site. You can find a link to his latest writing on the front page of their web site. EAA's web site might get more traffic if they had direct links to Jeff Skiles, Lauran Paine, Lane Wallace, and Brady Lane's articles on their front page.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    Yes, yes I am. I joined EAA because it was about sport aviation. Mac has nothing to do with that. Therefore I don't feel the need to continue my support.
    To make a fair assessment analysis of the pros and cons of EAA membership, you should first get a clean piece of paper. On that paper draw a line down the middle. On the left side jot down all the benefits(perceived and actual) of membership. On the right side jot down Mac's writing in SA.

If you honestly choose the right side as your reason for membership cancellation then you are figuratively cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 11-13-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I have seen some really bad information printed in magazines recently. I'm not sure there is much in the way of peer review going on anymore unless you are talking about university level research papers.
    Mike,
    Yes I suppose you are correct on that. Honestly that is what is refreshing about Kitplanes, many of the tech articles are written by people from the aerospace engineering community. Basicly passing down real information from industry to the "trenches" of homebuilding, rather than the sea of old wives tales and advertisement engineering that seems to be in abundance. I do not believe there is anyone at EAA with any kind of engineering background (except Jack) to review their articles....correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Mike,
    ...I do not believe there is anyone at EAA with any kind of engineering background (except Jack) to review their articles....correct me if I am wrong.

Jack Pelton's engineering background is experience as a production/manufacturing/management engineer. Nothing wrong with that at all - my dad retired from a similar career at McD/D and two of my best friends have PhDs in that broad field. But, that sort of engineering isn't really the type needed for peer review of a technical article. I do think that there are several people at EAA with the technical background to properly review technical articles in SA. I have no idea whether they are asked to review those articles.

As to Kitplanes, I agree that there are many technical articles from industry. That's of course a two-edged sword, but I always enjoy articles by Barney Wainfain and Jim Weir. I still write "Floobydust!" when my students make questionable claims in manuscript drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    To make a fair assessment analysis of the pros and cons of EAA membership, you should first get a clean piece of paper. On that paper draw a line down the middle. On the left side jot down all the benefits(perceived and actual) of membership. On the right side jot down Mac's writing in SA.

If you honestly choose the right side as your reason for membership cancellation then you are figuratively cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    My top three reasons for belonging to EAA since 1983:

1. Oshkosh
    2. Oshkosh
    3. Oshkosh
    13. The Magazine

The mag is nice, and always provides good bathroom material -- but if it went away tomorrow, I would still belong to EAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    Bringing Mac onboard is one of the reasons I let my membership lapse.
    Having a membership lapse does not get one booted from forums? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Having a membership lapse does not get one booted from forums? Interesting.
    EAA membership is not required to be a member of this forum, you know.