As Anatole the Chef would say, "You must takes zee smooths with zee roughs!"

I've been a member since 1985, own and fly a Pietenpol, am building (slowly) a Druine Turbulent. I am low-tech and I like the current iteration of SA. I think it went through a rough patch, but in the last couple of years is getting much better. There are, in fact, more grassroots tech articles than there were several years ago. There are also more grassroots stories, and more "story" stories. As to writers, I think Jeff Skiles is a gem that EAA should never let go of. He's a natural writer writing well about something he loves. Lane Wallace, Budd Davisson, Mike Busch, Brady Lane, Mark Phelps, Pat Matheny, Robert Rossier, and Lauren Paine all write well and usually on topics that interest me, though I have to admit that some are more acquired tastes than others. J. Mac McClellan writes very well, too. Often his topics don't interest me, but sometimes they do. His article on en route accidents in this month's SA was very well written and interesting. To me.

Now, with this line up of a couple of GREAT writers, several very good ones, and an overall redirecting back towards nuts-and-bolts flying, you're really going to toss your membership because one guy sometimes (often?) writes about topics you that don't interest you? I encourage you to at least compare your SAs from a couple of years prior to Mac's arrival to what SA publishes today. I think you'll be surprised.