Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts about Gyroplanes...

Your thoughts about Gyroplanes...

This is a multi-question post with something for everyone...

1. Wondering how many people here fly gyroplanes?
    2. If yes, do you fly under part 103 or do you hold a certificate for gyros?
    2. Are readers familiar with the newer aircraft in this category like the Magni M16 or the Autogyro MTO?
    3. What are your conceptions of gyroplanes and would you ever consider learning to fly one?

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by John Craparo; 03-02-2014 at 11:40 AM.

1. Don't, but extremely interested!
    2. NA
    3. Yes. Also the LittleWing, the Phenix, the AutoGyro Cavalon, the ArrowCopter AC10 and many others.
    4. I've been fascinated with Autogiros, gyroplanes, gyrocopters, autogyros, etc. since I first read about Johnny Miller and then later was able to meet and interview him for the Timeless Voices program. The LittleWing in particular is in my top two aircraft if I ever get around to building something (the other being a Pietenpol). Unfortunately, it is becoming harder and harder to find qualified gyroplane flight instructors. I would advise anyone interested in learning more to visit the Rotary Wing Forum at www.rotaryforum.com.

Zack

Quote Originally Posted by John Craparo View Post
    1. Wondering how many people here fly gyroplanes?
    2. If yes, do you fly under part 103 or do you hold a certificate for gyros?
    2. Are readers familiar with the newer aircraft in this category like the Magni M16 or the Autogyro MTO?
    3. What are your conceptions of gyroplanes and would you ever consider learning to fly one?
    1. = not me.
    2. = would like to hold a certificate for gyros.
    (second) 2. = Yes. I saw them fly at the PRA convention in Mentone, IN a couple yrs ago.
    3. = Someone across the lake from me builds gyros. I think they are definitely interesting. Getting training in a gyro seems to be somewhat of an obstacle but maybe one day.

Years ago I bought a Benson from a guy who had broken the rotors. Beautiful set of wooden blades.
    I bought a set of Rotor Hawks from a guy in Wetaskiin, fixed it up and flew it a few times.
    I learned,
    Gyros don't stall but if you pull to hard and the rotor slows down they come down, just like an airplane you have to dump the nose and get rotor speed up.
    They will land and takeoff in a very short distance and that big wing flailing around above you provides a pretty steady gyroscope.
    I taught myself to fly watching Ken Brock's video where he would run along at speed and balance the craft on it's main wheels. That was good training.
    I flew it a half dozen times and sold it, just couldn't get used to the idea of sitting out front and having that wing spinning above me.
    Last summer, about 40 yrs later, a friend who has a RAF 2000 which had been sitting in his garage for 20 yrs asked me to fly it.
    I flew it a few times and then chickened out, I'm not invincible anymore.
    What I did learn.
    After getting the rotor up to speed keep the rotor level until you have flying speed, about 40-45 mph. Watch the rotor tach, remember, it slows down you come down. It flies very much like any airplane, handles about like a Cub or Champ or many of the older ultralights as far as responsive goes, reasonably docile, goes where you point it, sort of.
    Fly approach like any airplane, touches down very nicely with very little float, flare reasonably hard with the stick back but not too much or the rotor will hit the ground behind you. Rotors are very fragile, even more than wings. Keep a good grip on the stick as any wind will move it abruptly and until it slows down substantially it will fly. Somebody that flies a lot could get it into and out of a very small space.
    A very nice solid airplane and the Subaru had lots of power, but again despite being enclosed in a comforting bubble I just could not get used to the idea of the wing going around and around, helicopters give me the same hebejebes. Then I dream't about that one bolt holding the rotor on and I was done. Call me a chicken but I have grandchildren now I want to stick around as long as I can.
    I like to look out and see a nice set of wings under me, that I understand.
    It's for sale.
    Ray

Love gyros but you do need to get training from a gyro CFI. Rotor management is key.

Great opportunity to see many types of gyros at Bensen Days March 26-29 at Wachula Fl. See http://www.bensendays.us.com/ for details.

Harold

I would have loved to meet Johnny Miller. I grew up in NY not far from him and had heard stories about him seeing Glenn Curtiss fly while still in curls. I also heard about his flights between the Philadelphia post office roof and Camden, NJ airport about 3,000 times, without incident, on his airmail route during 1939 and 1940.

I recently received my gyroplane add-on and exercise it at every chance. I have been flying the Magni M-16. It would be great to see these machines for rent throughout the country. I know work is afoot pressing the FAA to move on allowing S-LSA gyros into the national fleet. I was not very interested in the category until I saw the Pitcairn PA-18 fly at AirVenture. This past year I met a gyro instructor here in TX and jumped right into lessons. It was a great transition and much more stable than the reputation created by powered push over incidents in the early Bensen machines of the 50's and 60's.

The little video created by, UK instructor, Phil Harwood tells a compelling story which I found to be right on the spot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8IB-5PbL9U

I am very interested in the opinions of other readers here. Perhaps Sport Aviation can do a feature article on gyros?! Please Please...

Thanks,
    John
    EAA Life Member
    youcanflynow.com

So John, have you considered writing a book about your gyro training and gyro flying experience? I'd be interested in buying it. Or, would you consider revising your "You Can Fly Now" book to include a chapter on gyro training and flying? Again, I'd be interested in buying.

Marty... yes, I do plan to add three chapters to the book. Hot Air Ballooning, Gyroplanes and Airpark Life will be the subjects. Thank you for saying you would be willing to read the book whether it's an update or a totally new one. That means a lot to me.

Best,
    John

This man is selling his gyro, he will teach you how to fly it.. This has a 914 turbo in it. I have seen this fly, its very nice.

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing_....php?id=826876

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    This man is selling his gyro, he will teach you how to fly it.. This has a 914 turbo in it. I have seen this fly, its very nice.
    Yes, but will he provide training to complete the rating if I don't buy it?