Thread: Airplanes for sand dune takeoff and landing in desert

Airplanes for sand dune takeoff and landing in desert

I would like to know if there is any airplane that can routinely take off and land on a sand dune in a desert. I have searched and read about bush airplanes. Bush airplanes are used on water, river bed, grass land, ice and snow. Maybe those bush planes that can operate on snow can also operate on sand dunes, but I am not sure. The ground under the snow could be pretty firm and provide stronger support than sand dunes. Any info/comment/speculation would be highly appreciated.

Sand is hard an airplanes and engines, so big air filters are a must the prop and paint will wear quickly. I would think that any bush plane with big, soft tires would do the trick. Here is one example:

Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    Sand is hard an airplanes and engines, so big air filters are a must the prop and paint will wear quickly. I would think that any bush plane with big, soft tires would do the trick. Here is one example:

I concur with this choice,I think the kit is about 34k FW back.There are plenty of youtube vids showing take off and landings in the most out of the way places.Were I a little more flush with funds this is the choice I would go. Cheers Ross

You could use a Cessna 206 with big tires, at least if the sand dunes are like the ones on the Kobuk (in Alaska) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZHo5gLc__o

There was a German pilot who flew a Zenair CH-701 on big tires in the Namibia desert, with sand dunes and all of that. You can read about it and see photos of him operating in that kind of environment at the Zenair website. I believe that for a lower-priced kitplane you can build yourself, the 701/750 series, modified with bigger tires and taller landing gear might be able to work safely.

Any of the Super Cub type factory built airplanes with large tires ought to be able to do this too, if you do not want to build.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com