Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obstacles to ownership and GA growth

Happy Understood, but experimental without locks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Scott, I have been a pilot and airplane owner for 30 years. I have never owned a hangar, mostly have not had access to one.
    It would be great to have one, but not required to fly.
    Would you quit driving if you did not have a garage?
    Bill, I agree, but without a means to lock my experimental Zodiac 601 and fairly expensive (in my terms anyway) radio and instruments tying down outside in today's world is a very dicey prospect. I'm not being snobby, just cautious.

BTW, all of my cars have had very effective locks on them.

Scott

It is a local problem, IMHO, and comes down to how local airports are run as well as location.

For example, we have a couple County airports within driving distance, and availability runs from "Ha Ha Ha, yeah, right," to "Hmmm, probably about six months."

The short wait airport is a bit more rural than the others, but they have a pretty strict policy on what's in the hangar. If it's not airworthy the owner gets a warning - sixty days to respond or it's out, pushed onto the line, and the hangar is put on the available list. If the owner responds and states he is going to make the plane airworthy, he gets six months. If it doesn't get signed off by then, it's out.

Sounds kind of harsh, but I completely agree with it. I know there are airplanes that haven't had their props turned for years sucking up otherwise useful space because the owners figure it's a best way to store it and the FBO doesn't care so long as the annual check clears.

It also allows them to keep a "reserve" hangar for those who have their airplane in the area for only part of the year or for short terms.

It's an hour drive from my house, but that's were I'll put my plane. I like the fact that the guys running the place are actively involved with what's going on there and on it.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Jerry, my J3 Cub is a tube and fabric airplane,and I don't have a hangar.
    Do you really think all the Cubs, Champs, etc. that taught so many people to fly spent their days in a hangar?
    My other airplane is not tube, but has fabic covered elevator and rudder.
    Yes. being outside is hard on paint, but it doesn't prevent or preclude flying.

I know people that say they couldn't buy a house if it did not have ganite countertops in the kitchen.
    Maybe they wouldn't own or fly a plane if it didn't have a hangar.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-28-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Scott, where do you live? Is there really that much breaking into and stealing things out of planes there?
    I live in a small town with a very low crime rate, so I may not see the same environment as you do.
    How many instruments does a Zodiac have ?

Well, I can't speak for Scott as far as the crime situation in Jeff City, I would recommend another reason for a hanger- the environment here in Missouri can be wildly variable- not at all unusual to hear of golf ball sized hail, or thunderstorms (or worse, tornados) with gusts up to 75-80 mph. Not to mention, the airport in JC is located on the flood plain, less than 1/4 mile from the Missouri river.

Scott, I would talk it over with some of the folks at EAA 429, imagine they are as "up" as anyone can be about the local airports.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Jerry, my J3 Cub is a tube and fabric airplane,and I don't have a hangar.
    Do you really think all the Cubs, Champs, etc. that taught so many people to fly spent their days in a hangar?
    My other airplane is not tube, but has fabic covered elevator and rudder.
    Yes. being outside is hard on paint, but it doesn't prevent or preclude flying.

I know people that say they couldn't buy a house if it did not have ganite countertops in the kitchen.
    Maybe they wouldn't own or fly a plane if it didn't have a hangar.
    Bill, That is most interesting! How long do you get to go between recoverings with the airplane outside all the time? Do you cover it to protect the fabric from UV damage or do you use a special wax or protectant? You might just save me some money....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Jerry, I don't do anything special to protest the CUB except have a canvas cover for the wood prop which has clear varnish. Some people say to me that all that snow, I live in Colo, must be hard on the plane. But except for the weight, snow is just clean water. The big impact from weather comes from the U V rays which are harsh at 8000 in mostly clear air. Bad for paint or skin.

Sure, having a hangar would be great, but it shouldn't keep one from flying. I recovered the Cub once, but that was from ground damage when the wind blew a dumpster into it.

Remember, the original CUB was covered in cotton, which can last 25 years if hangared, but much less outside. Many modern planes use some form of dacron, Ceconite, etc. which last longer.
    Some type of wax might help a little, I don't know.

David, if an airport floods, being in a hangar, is not going to help is it?
    If you live in an area that is prone to hail, I'd try to have good insurance , and make sure to say your prayers every Sunday morning. Maybe that is why they are called , "Hail Mary", etc.

Obviously it is great to have a hangar, if you can.

Here in the South it's not the UV that will kill a light plane, it's the thunderstorms, hail, tornadoes, etc.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank, if I lived in tornado country, I'd go to church regularly, donate to charities, ( the good ones, not scams) volunteer to help the homeless and elderly, and never raise my voice to my kids.
    And then I think I would also have a good basement and pay attention to sirens.

I don't see many hangars these days with basements in them, though.

When the hurricane flooded much of Galveston Island recently, having a hangar did not keep the water out.
    When the tornado hit Breckenridge, the hangar fell in on the planes, just like in Florida.
    There are lots of flgiht schools in Texas, Florida, etc. I don't think all of them have hangars.
    What do you do if no hangar is available, Just decide not to fly or maybe just rent and let the FBO worry about the damage?

And guys, you have all brought up many good points about not having a hangar. You have really convinced me. So, out of the goodness of my heart, you can donate your airplanes to me and I'll keep them where there are less thieves and less tornados. And I won't even charge you a ferry fee when I pick them up.

We may have some thieves here, but not the kind that break into airplanes. Go to google and find Ken Lay or Scott Alan Fuller. As the old Hank Williams song goes, "some will rob you with a gun and some with a fountain pen."
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-29-2011 at 11:30 AM.